Basic Drilling advice (softwood)

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
paul_essex

Basic Drilling advice (softwood)

Postby paul_essex » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi Everybody - I am newbee into the woodworking world and I've started to see things in the world that I could potentially do cheaper & better (with practise) and make myself feel good with the 'I did that ' factor.

I started with planters for the garden which I justified a purchase of sliding mitre saw & some cheap decking boards - that got me started with wood working and now I've taken on a bigger project - plantation blinds. I know I've picked a pretty difficult first project, but I was looking for a project that i) I could use & ii) I could hone my skills on.

I've bought some cheap off cuts from the woodyard which I can cut on my tablesaw and get all the pieces the same size with my thicknesser - I've also bought a £60 drill press & hand drill. I've made the frames and I was looking at different methods of joining them - I tried mortice and tenon, but it took a long while and it wasn't always sucessful. I wanted to avoid screws and found a lot of people recommended dowels so I am trying them. The problem I am getting is that the holes aren't always aligned so the rails and stiles don't have a really nice join.

I've drilled the holes for the dowels in the stiles on the drill press, that was nice and easy and they have followed the centre lines I drew on the wood. When drilling the rails I am forced to used my hand drill due to the length of the piece of wood (I don't have sufficient gap in the drill press). What I am finding is the hand drill is not always perfectly centred - I use a wood drill piece (8mm) and push the end into the wood before I start the drill. I think what is happening is that the drill bit slips when set to level 2 (there is just 1 and 2 settings on my dewalt), its also possible I am using a too higher torque setting on the drill which may not be helping.

What speed/torque settings should I be using on sofwood with a wood drill bit and are there any tips for making the drill bit stay on target ? I've tried drilling a pilot hole but not sure if that really helped. I've also used a low torque/speed but it then struggles to get through the wood. If anybody could offer me some advice on this basic area, it would be really helpful to my learning. I'm sure you have all met the issue if your hole is a couple of mm out then the dowels aren't aligned & then the joint looks terrible.

I've tried using a doweling jig, but the stils are often not wide enough

jfc
Administrator

Re: Basic Drilling advice (softwood)

Postby jfc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:44 pm

welcome to the forum Paul . I made some a few years ago that you may find helpful .
http://woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3592&p=46445#p46445

paul_essex

Postby paul_essex » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for your reply and link jfc. I'd seen your guide (which is what bought me to this site) I had particular interest as I could forsee issues with in the elipictal shape of the louvers which you covered in your very good guide. Ideally I would like to create the eliptical shape with a router bit but there doesn't seem to be any UK sellers that do a 1/4" bit suitable for purpose. At this stage I am just going to use a roundover bit and look for alternative solutions in the future.

I've spend the afternoon with my dowel joints and even though I haven't perfected the drilling, I have found that mistakes can easily be filled with dowels with the excess cut off, filed & redrilled, its a simple solution that probably everbody on this forum would have thought of, but as a beginner it didn't immediately appeal to me.

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:12 pm

paul_essex wrote:Thanks for your reply and link jfc. I'd seen your guide (which is what bought me to this site) I had particular interest as I could forsee issues with in the elipictal shape of the louvers which you covered in your very good guide. Ideally I would like to create the eliptical shape with a router bit but there doesn't seem to be any UK sellers that do a 1/4" bit suitable for purpose. At this stage I am just going to use a roundover bit and look for alternative solutions in the future.

I've spend the afternoon with my dowel joints and even though I haven't perfected the drilling, I have found that mistakes can easily be filled with dowels with the excess cut off, filed & redrilled, its a simple solution that probably everbody on this forum would have thought of, but as a beginner it didn't immediately appeal to me.

It was a while ago since i made them but im sure i have a router bit that matches that chamfer . I'll check when i'm back in the workshop .

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 am

What sort of drill are you using?

I would make a jig for this. That way you can drill the jig on your pillar vertically, and as long as you work out the jig referencing to the stock, the hole will be vertical.

http://www.boneham.co.uk/shop/product/p ... _/din_172a

Return to “Woodworking”