Panel Saw Scribe Blade

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Panel Saw Scribe Blade

Post by Meccarroll » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:27 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a panel saw with scribe blade and not quite sure how to obtain best results from using the scribe blade.

I have use panel saws with scribe blades, in the past, but never had to set one up myself. Do these setups work best cutting on one edge of the board.

For example do you set and adjust the scribe blade so it cuts clean on either the rip fence or sliding table side of the main blade or can these be set to make a clean undercut to both edges.

The scribe blade I have is a one piece blade that bevels to the tip, this gives a slightly tapered cut to the cut to the tip of the blade (not 90 deg). It fine cuts neatly if I adjust it to one side of the main blade but it is difficult to set it to make a clean cut to match both sides of the main blade.

It it that these saws cut best when cutting to align both blades to one edge at a time or do I need to play around a bit more with the settings. Would a split scribe blade be better?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

senior
Subscriber

Re: Panel Saw Scribe Blade

Post by senior » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am

I use a split blade, line up with both sides.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:30 pm

PM sent

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 pm

My felder has a single piece blade like yours and if the score isn't clean on both sides then I just raise the scoring blade up slightly. The only thing that is a bit of a pain on my saw is the side to side adjustment as the slightest turn of the adjuster seems to move the blade a lot. However once set, it shouldn't need redoing. When I need to use the scribing blade I just do a few test cuts on some scrap mfc until the height is correct.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:38 pm

+ 1 for a split.
I generally work off the sliding table side, just ordered one of these to help with the long cuts http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Sawing/Acce ... fence.html

Jonathan

PABLO123
Subscriber

Post by PABLO123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm

conical scorer for me, just raise it up to make it wider

Paul

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

My walking is a split scorer with shims for different kerfs but as said above I mainly work by sliding table side as well.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Cheers everyone for the replies, I think I might just invest in a split set of scoring blades for my saw and have the current one sharpened. It sounds like making a few test cuts is best and maybe trying to make the clean cuts from one edge mainly. I should get there with a bit of practice.

All advice has been read and very much appreciated.

Mark