Rather large Front door

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
vonklinker

Rather large Front door

Postby vonklinker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Evening everyone,
i have a project about to start (just waiting for the final design to be given the green light)
I have been asked to design a front door that would fill a 1440x 2400 front entrance.
i designed a wide 35” door with side lights to match in a victorian style (along the customers original guidelines)

I am know however instructed to scale draw a singe door with out side lights in a rough Georgian style (attached below)

I have obviously got a few more things to think about with this new design in mind

1 - Warping due to HUGE door :lol:
2 - weight - 4 x hinges
3 - U value - more to do with panel thickness
4 - Well basically anything else anyone may be able to point out that i missed - Probably the biggest door i have made yet.

Just interested in people’s opinions !
Many thanks in advance
Pete
Attachments
large door and frame.jpg

jfc
Administrator

Re: Rather large Front door

Postby jfc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Something that size i would look into using a door blank ( fire blank ) and planting on the features .

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm with Jason here door blank and plant on, you could also look at a pivot hinge with a floor plate, I've done them this big for interior stuff but not exterior, will take some standing around and teeth sucking to get a good seal with pivot hinge, assuming you need/want it when using the pivot.

podengo
Occasional Poster

Postby podengo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Could you do a nice thick frame and an architrave, to make the door about 1200 wide?

A big door needs some substantial frame detail around it anyway.

4 hinges would be enough for a door of that size, or even 5" butts if you csn get them.

6" stiles? Bolection moulding?

vonklinker

Postby vonklinker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Many thank for replies.

I had not considered the for blank and did a little research and found they are quite weighty themselvesnear 90kg I have not calculated for sapele yet as have been on other things so will get on that.
Planted on maulsing would work as it is well protected from immediate weather as it has large turned stone canopy.
I will have to look into the finished thickness once all the detail was fitted.
There is then the possibility of having glass panels on the top - again not ideal but hay ho.

I have added a 40mm ish lining down each side that I was going to have a stopped moulding of some sort to break it up and then a good 70- 100mm wide frame.
Anything to reduce the width of the swinging weight.

4x 5" bearing hinges are probably a must !
Many thanks - the design tweaking continues!

murdoch

Postby murdoch » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I would go for accoya with tricoya panels, lightweight and zero movement issues.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:12 am

I have not made an external/internal door as big as this but I have made framed ledge and braced garage doors in softwood this size. In softwood it would not be too much of a problem regarding making it and it should be as stable as a normal size door just use thicker sections, 57mm stiles etc.

The biggest problem will be the shear weight of the finished door. I hung an external door about this size a couple of years ago at a Palace, the door was made out of sapele and it took four men to carry it from the lorry and put it beside the door frame ready to be hung. Because of the sheer weight it took me all day just to hang it on four hinges in the opening. I had carpenters working near to me and could call for help when I needed to turn the door over or lift it up into the opening.

If you make this door in hardwood I'd allow for two people to handle the door once it reaches the glue up stage unless it's in softwood or a light wood.

Mark

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:07 pm

I did a massive acoustic door that weighed an absolute tonne and hung that using tectus hinges. I did it all on its back in the workshop them fitted the casing, needed a few extra hands to lift the door, but it just slotted straight onto the hinges. I was really pleased with how it went.

wallace
Occasional Poster

Postby wallace » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:25 pm

I recently got the front doors from the recently demolished wadkin works. They must weigh 30 stone each, I was surprised they only had 3 hinges.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 am

My front door is Victorian and slightly bigger than this and 2 3/4 inch thick . it's warped / twisted quite badly . It's also extremely heavy .
So plus 1 on Jfc comments about twisting .

Return to “Woodworking”