Thermal External door

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
MJ80
Subscriber

Thermal External door

Postby MJ80 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am

I'm looking at doing the front door and thinking about making the blank, previously i used the moralt Klima core in the past, but I think it would be easy to make it. I want to reinforce it as well is possible with a sheet of aluminium, bonded to the first sheet of ply with a silka adhesive (I forget the name).
My build up would be so. Frame made up from laninated sections with some kingspan in the gaps. Then sheet of ply, sheet of alu, lipped all round then finishing sheet or thick veneers on the front amd back. If I could get hold of some Trycoia over here I would use that and rout the detail for the front section, but I don't believe it is sold here.
Does what I am proposing sound right

jfc
Administrator

Re: Thermal External door

Postby jfc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Your door will only be as strong as the rebates holding the panel in . The last time i made a reinforced door i drilled out the middle and bottom rail to take lengths of rebar . Try kicking that f**ker in !

Vallybar
Subscriber

Postby Vallybar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Ffs u growing weed in there

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:22 am

Is a sheet of aluminium going to reinforce the door? I've made a few insulated doors by making a torsion box from 6mm ply with a 20 or 25mmm cellotex core which I've then clad with timber, and they have been pretty solid!
Keith

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Vallybar wrote:Ffs u growing weed in there

That's a thought

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

I was looking the section of a geman timber door and it had the Alu both sides. I wanted to see if it was simple enough to do, but it's not critical.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Would be interesting to see what passes UK regs for an insulated door fabricated in a home workshop.

Reinforcing the door to a good standard is one thing but what about the lock and frame..........?

Mark

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Going for a multipoint ststem i have used before with either tectus or some big adjustable hinges. The door and casing have a double rebate here. I'll try and find some section details of this and do a squiggle of the build up.
I'm thinking for the external face in oak it would be ok in 12mm PU bonded to the backer, or a flexible adhesive. If so could I get away with 6. Then thinking that a router detail on a panel might be best because it can go up to the high thirties in summer and down to twenty below on a winter night.

Return to “Woodworking”