Design and build wooden garden steps

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
willowwork

Design and build wooden garden steps

Postby willowwork » Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 pm

This is my first post on the forum, so hello from North Wales.
I want to build some steps from our lower to upper garden, a rise of 4 feet and set them in the right angle of a wall. The stairs will be outside and fully exposed to wind, sun, rain and frost. I used Iroko on a boat years ago and found it very good for weathering all manner of things, so might opt for that. I am thinking of two side bearers 6 x 4, cut at 90 degrees to rest against the wall, with treads jointed in and with threaded bar underneath. Below the top tread a 90 degree panel, which can be rawl bolted to the masonry. Rawl bolts through the right hand bearer. I thought to treat the wood to Djeks Oil which again worked well on the boat. If that sounds about right, well and good, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Many thanks.

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: Design and build wooden garden steps

Postby 9fingers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:17 am

Bear in mind that these will be very slippery after a winter or so. Consider building in handrails and texturing the tread surface in some way to increase grip. Pressure wash regularly. Or use masonry instead!
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

willowwork

Re: Design and build wooden garden steps

Postby willowwork » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:46 pm

Yes noted. Thanks for your reply.

Return to “Woodworking”