British Carpenters Jargon

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Kacperoo

British Carpenters Jargon

Postby Kacperoo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi I am a student from Poland and i am on 3rd year of my studies ,at this moment I have to write bachelor's dissertation. My topic is "A comparative analysis of the professional jargon by British and Polish Carpenters."
The question is there anyone who could help me in Carpenters Jargon , also someone who is from Germany because i am preparing a table with tools in 4 languages to see is there some similarity in nomenclature. If there is someone who would like to help me please write a comment under this post or send me private message. ;)
Ps. If this post is in wrong category or group please let me know sorry if it is.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: British Carpenters Jargon

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 am

Terminology is the word you are looking for. I'd stick to British terminology if I was you, German carpenters talk a lot of Gobbledygook.

Kacperoo

Postby Kacperoo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah but in Polish Carpenters Terminology there is a lot of borrowings from German language and the conclusion will be that there is no impact from english to polish and vice versa but more from German ( example : the word "Kerf" spelling of this word is the same like in German or French probably the pronunciation is different , in Polish this word is "Rzaz" . It is very important to me i dont have much time on 13th november i need to be ready with my work and only what i have is polish jargon and english terminology ( well known words for normal people like chisel or plane or mallet) and i need to find some pearls that only carpenters will understand :)

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

How about roofing elements ? Common rafter/ jack rafter cripple jacks is that the kinda thing your after ?

Kacperoo

Postby Kacperoo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 pm

I've been thinking about it but after consultation with my supervisor we decided to focus on smaller group only carpenters like cabinet makers something like this . Rather some tools or techniques than like you suggested roofing elements (because there is a lot of it ). And it is gonna be easier for me to explain to the examination board what is chisel or mallet, not a rafter ;)

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 pm

How about, "gun-stop joint", that's a pearl for you. It's a diminishing joint in the middle rail/stile of a door. Leveller is the man to explain the joint to you, but he has not yet entered this thread.

Mark

Kacperoo

Postby Kacperoo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:21 pm

That's interesting :) I need to decipher what is it and find Polish counterpart :) but thanks that is helpful !

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am

Keith

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Postby katellwood » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Meccarroll wrote:How about, "gun-stop joint", that's a pearl for you. It's a diminishing joint in the middle rail/stile of a door. Leveller is the man to explain the joint to you, but he has not yet entered this thread.

Mark

In the absence of leveller and if I may, its actually known as a gunstock stile (as the shape of the stile is a similar shape to a gun stock)

An example

sgiandubh
Subscriber

Postby sgiandubh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Kacperoo wrote: "A comparative analysis of the professional jargon by British and Polish Carpenters."

A couple of snippets for you from Scotland:
Wheelie = hand drill, also sometimes known as an eggbeater drill particularly in American parlance.
Slit feather = loose tongue and groove joint.

Okay, I grant you these are both local dialect rather than either jargon or standard English, but they are terms that exist. Slainte.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm

katellwood wrote:
Meccarroll wrote:How about, "gun-stop joint", that's a pearl for you. It's a diminishing joint in the middle rail/stile of a door. Leveller is the man to explain the joint to you, but he has not yet entered this thread.

Mark

In the absence of leveller and if I may, its actually known as a gunstock stile (as the shape of the stile is a similar shape to a gun stock)

An example

That's great stuff there ketellwood and I knew I'd get something wrong on this one, thats why I suggested Leveller but of course you have stepped in and corrected my mistake cheers. Gunstock :D

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Meccarroll wrote:
katellwood wrote:

Mark

An example

That's great stuff there ketellwood and I knew I'd get something wrong on this one, thats why I suggested Leveller but of course you have stepped in and corrected my mistake cheers. Gunstock :D NOT Gun-Stop :oops:

Mark

Return to “Woodworking”