Convex Bench Slats

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Plecc

Convex Bench Slats

Postby Plecc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am

Hi all,

I would like to try and make a set of oak bench slats with a convex top face. E.g. One continuous ark across the top face from one side to the other.
I appreciate that forms like this are typically produced on a fancy profileing machine, but is there a way I could produce this at home with electric hand tools?
I'm struggling to come up with a suitable jig myself.

Thanks,
Plecc

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Convex Bench Slats

Postby woodsmith » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:55 pm

You could make a jig to do this with a router, but, especially if you don't have a lot to do, you could just use a plane to shape them.
Keith

Plecc

Postby Plecc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks woodsmith,

I was hoping to be able to reproduce them a bit quicker and more consistently than i could achieve with a plane.
do you know of any examples of a router / electric plane jig i could take a look at to get some ideas from?

i have tried searching myself but im not very clued up with woodworking terminology, so i tend to keep finding quite obscure stuff.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 am

For jig read home made jig. Just a couple of pieces of MDF cut to the required shape and made into a box would do the job, but you could use the same MDF with a plane and use it as a guide. If you have a power planer take off the bulk of the waste and then a few passes with a hand plane would have it done. I have a spindle moulder, which is the quick way of making something like this, but if I only had a few to do I'd use a plane as it's quicker than setting up the machine. Alternatively if you have access to a bandsaw you could remove most of the waste with that, but you would still need to hand plane a final finish.
Keith

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 am

What tools do you have at your disposal? What about laminating thin pieces to make the convex shape? Not much needed for that operation.

Mark

Plecc

Postby Plecc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I think I have managed to find a jig that would be suitable.

Its a router jig used for forming the shallow ark on a guitar fingerboard, here is the post - http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4897
I dont realy want to build one thats large enough to enclose a whole bench slat, so i would need to shape a section of the slat maybe one meter at a time and then slide the slat through the jig, reset position and shape the next meter and so on.

what do you think?

Hi Maccarroll,

Hand tools
* Small, Med and Large standard hand planes
* A few rasps and files
* Various hand saws
* Some small chisels

Power Hand Tools
* Router
* Plane
* A few sanders
* Circular Saw
* Jig saw
* Sawsall

Bench Tools
* Small linisher
* Pillar Drill
* Thicknesser

I hope to have a planer/jointer within the month, just struggling to find a budget one thats not a total piece or c***.
think i may go for an old one on e-bay that i can tidy up and customise a bit.

Return to “Woodworking”