Stabilising a kitchen island unit

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Stabilising a kitchen island unit

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 pm

I know that there quite a few of you who make/fit kitchens.

We've got an island unit as part of the new kitchen (bought in...long story). Usual configuration, carcasses supported by those black plastic legs. Thing is that with the granite worktop, it's pretty unstable and top heavy and will easily rock and I can see a too-enthusiastic rock causing them all to fail and the whole unit come crashing down.

So I was wondering about the best way to stabilise. I'd originally thought of making up some boxes out of ply that were a tight fit under each unit but initial measurements suggest that the underneaths of the carcasses aren't equidistant from the floor. So.....less tall boxes and then wedges - glued and tapped into place to be a snug fit between floor and carcass bottom?

Is there a better/simpler way ?
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Stabilising a kitchen island unit

Postby mark270981 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 am

I made a box frame out the relevant sized timber and siliconed it to the floor then fixed through the units into this frame - it was perfectly solid and would have no qualms recommending this method.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Return to “Woodworking”