Timbmet...................

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Leveller2911
Subscriber

Timbmet...................

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Recently my colleague has has a major issue with one of our suppliers. Basically he was quoted a price to supply some Air Dried Oak for an exterior staircase but was sent Green Oak which is obviously no good so the supplier then said they would laminate some Air dried Oak instead and colleague enquired about the price and was told by the rep that "the price would be around the same as the original quote as the office hadn't said any different" (bit wishy washy) ......... Well it wasn't , they originally quoted around £675-00 but when the invoice came in for the laminated the price was £1400+ so after a lot of phone calls and accusations and counter accusations he bit the bullet and met them half way.

The job in question was nothing to do with me but from what I do know and the timeline of their promises and failure to meet their promises to deliver certain parts of the contract I think they behaved disgracefully. Having seen the supplier basically shaft my colleague I'm already looking for another supplier to add to my list which brings me on to Timbmet.

In the past decade each of us have contacted Timbmet on a few occasions and to this day we haven't received a single reply. The first time we contacted them around 14yrs ago the rep stated we were too small and they wouldn't be interested. Move on 14yrs and they still can't be bothered to even reply to enquiries so my question is are we the only ones who Timbmet don't seem interested in supplying?. We have A1 Credit, excellant trade references and have a combined turnover of around £140-160k a year which isn't bad for 2 guys but Timbet just don't seem bothered so are they just interested in guys with £250k+ turnover?.

We have dealt with Goldbergs for years but I haven't given them any orders for 6 months as their prices have gone way too high. The company I mentioned above have good prices but poor service so I have contacted and opened an account with James Lathams so any views on them would be appreciated, their prices seem keen.

Oh and Merry Christmas to you all..

Regards Leveller

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Re: Timbmet...................

Postby katellwood » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Aren't Timbmet now owned by Meyers???

There used to be a Meyers close to me in Strood, Kent, that closed. I then started using Timbmet in Larkfield, Kent and on being taken over they closed that branch.

Being a one man band with limited storage I only collect materials, don't have anything large delivered and decent sheet material suppliers seen to have disappeared from the West Kent area (when Meyers were in Strood it was perfect).

I now have to stomach a trip to Tilbury Docks, which is a pain and they are very unaccommodating.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 am

I've used Lathams for sheet material and also some timber. On the whole they have been very good, they did slip me a bendy piece of 6mm birch ply once but that could have been error rather than intent.
Keith

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 pm

That sounds like quite a hike in price from the original quote and no surprise that both you and your friend are not pleased. Makes it difficult to price for work when things like this happen. Hope you soon find a decent supplier who is dependable.

All the best for the new year.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Cheers for the replies guys.. Re: Meyers owning Timbmet Ketelwood, thinking about it that wouldn't surprise us because Meyers have always given poor service which is why we never use them. Their so dis-organised its beyong belief ,bit of a Keystone cops outfit.

One small but exbanding company we deal with who give excellent service but can be pricey is JW Timber over at Marden and John the owner is a very amiable guy and they have always been very helpful but as I say are a bit pricey. Thing is though when a company is cheaper ,make promises but fail to keep to them such as delivery dates ,then we haven't really made a saving which is why over the years we have stuck with the same suppliers ...until recently. Will deifinitely try Lathams ...

Cheers again guys and all the best..

Leveller

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Postby katellwood » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Have been to JW timber a few times, unfortunately they no longer supply AW oak just European, however for service I cannot fault them.

The last lot of Oak I bought(What i built the gates from here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13444) was from http://oakandwood.co.uk/

They do kiln dried prime and joinery quality, i bought joinery as its an outdoor project.

Return to “Woodworking”