Mini fix & Maxi fix jigs.........

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Leveller2911
Subscriber

Mini fix & Maxi fix jigs.........

Postby Leveller2911 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Evening chaps.

Currently when I make kitchen units ,wardrobes etc I use the Festool domino a ,glue and screws to join the components togther. My question is does anyone use the "Maxi fix" or "Mini fix 15 " jigs for securing unit sides to the tops and bases?. I know Hafele did sell the complete jig sets and they were hugely expensive but I was under the impression they've stopped selling them. Any suggestions or alternatives?.....When I need to make stuff and assemble on site it can be a PITA assembling large units in contrained areas and mini fix etc I have found easier.

Cheers Leveller

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Re: Mini fix & Maxi fix jigs.........

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi Leveller
I only use screws to join cabinets together, no glue, sides of cabinet sit on the bottom, top of cabinet sits on the sides hope that makes sense... I've not figured out why mass produced carcasses do it the other way around, other than they don't want the cabinet to last.
I domino and glue the face frame on.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 am

The OP doesn't state if he fits face frames or just uses lay on doors.
Alan

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 am

I have the hettich version, it was really expensive, but for big cabinets that need reassembly on site it was really good.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Cheers for the replies chaps.Jonathan, Interesting way you do your units and I get why you do it that way and would only question this technique when making wall units, not sure I would want all the weight of a wall units contents relying on just screws into end grain of MDF ,chipboard or ply. I can see it would work for base units though.On base units I guess like everyone else I fit the legs so the overhang the sides and support the side/base joint.

@ Alan, Its a bit of both some some face frames and some overlay.

@ MJ80 Cheers for that will have a look at hettich version..

Cheers guys and keep opinions coming

Leveller

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm

If you already have a domino (assume a 500?) have you looked at the dominofix stuff from these guys....
http://dominofix.com/
Haven't used it myself yet but looks decent and the only visible fixing is about the size of an allen key so easily plugged. I think the jig etc is about £60 and I assume each fixing is more expensive than minifix and similar.

I used to use Rafix which are easy to install but quite unsightly if on show.

I domino and screw everything together now. I have just got a pocket hole jig so I use that for face frames etc.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 pm

If I make something that has to be assembled on site I just design it with decor end panels if visible so that I can use dominos and carcase screws for chipboard or spax mdf screws for mdf to hold it all together. Once assembled none of the screws are visible, although it doesn't look particularly professional during assembly!

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

davidpidge wrote:If you already have a domino (assume a 500?) have you looked at the dominofix stuff from these guys....
http://dominofix.com/
Haven't used it myself yet but looks decent and the only visible fixing is about the size of an allen key so easily plugged. I think the jig etc is about £60 and I assume each fixing is more expensive than minifix and similar.

I used to use Rafix which are easy to install but quite unsightly if on show.

I domino and screw everything together now. I have just got a pocket hole jig so I use that for face frames etc.

Hi David,
Yes I have the Domino 500 and will check out the Dominofix....... Cheers

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 pm

promhandicam wrote:If I make something that has to be assembled on site I just design it with decor end panels if visible so that I can use dominos and carcase screws for chipboard or spax mdf screws for mdf to hold it all together. Once assembled none of the screws are visible, although it doesn't look particularly professional during assembly!

I pretty much do the same Steve with Domino's and screws. I like the idea of constructing the unit in situ once its been made in the workshop so with Minifix etc you would lay the base on the plinth (if you had one) with its cams fitted then slide on the side and turn insert to lock the joint and then the top of the unit ,back and then the last side which would lock the whol unit together if you get my drift?. Some of the places I get to work in theres very little room to put together a unit on the floor and then stand it up..

Cheers Leveller.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 am

If I'm doing a ceiling height unit like a wardrobe there's no room to assemble the carcass laying down then stand it up. I also don't want any fixings visible inside so I do the same as leveller by starting with a base panel on adjustable feet but i have blocks of ply screwed to the underside and sticking out the sides by 15mm. I can lift the side panel onto these blocks then screw from the side. Drop top panel on and pin/glue back panel on. All dominoed of course.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 am

Think we're all in the same boat, I do my carcases the same domino an glue/screw an pocket hole face frames as said though it doesn't always look great when installing expensive unitry an all you see is screws (never had a comment from a customer just what I think). I keep meaning to try the domino fix system but always forget so I'll try it on my next kitchen next month an let you know.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am

Tomyjoiner wrote:Think we're all in the same boat, I do my carcases the same domino an glue/screw an pocket hole face frames as said though it doesn't always look great when installing expensive unitry an all you see is screws (never had a comment from a customer just what I think). I keep meaning to try the domino fix system but always forget so I'll try it on my next kitchen next month an let you know.

I was looking at the Dominofix system last night and they do look good but very very expensive so although I will give them a go I think I will only use them in the "knock down-site construct" type jobby...

For the "200 set" they cost £157.79 +tax and I'm not sure "200 set" means 200 joints (ie 400 pieces) or 100 joints (200 pieces) ,plus you really need the drilling jig which is £109.58 +tax.

I really like the idea and the way they work .............If you do try some Tomy ,keep us informed.. ;)

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm

I had a quick look too, and you need to use an 8mm cutter which in my opinion is too big for an 18mm board as you will only have a max of 5mm either side of the hole. I don't know what everyone else uses on carcase work but I almost always use 5mm domino's.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

I also only use the 5x30 dominoes for carcasses. I assume 5mm would be too small for their connector design but only having a thin wall of material would be a limitation of the material so chipboard probably would be weak but mr mdf and ply should be ok?

Return to “Woodworking”