Sub contractor..

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Stevib

Sub contractor..

Postby Stevib » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi all i apologise if this isnt the right place to post this im not to savvy with forums.

I have been doing some work for a bloke sub contracting he has the contract with a bigger company and gets me to do a few jobs i am a carpenter.

I am having abit of trouble with him he is refusing to pay me what i am owed £540 i was on day rate. When he said he wasnt paying me i wrote a invoice and sent it to the person he has the big contract with explaining that he was refusing to pay me because of a job that wasnt related to the work i had done at these flats( other job was fitting some oak doors for someone he owed a favor to. I had a feeling he was going to refuse to pay me so i said i would finish the doors once he had paid me for the 4.5 days of work i had done at the flats. ) This miffed the person i was sub contracting for off and he has now ripped all the work out i have done saying it was rubbish he didnt give me the chance to go look at what he says is wrong with my work or give me the chance to fix what ever was wrong.

Do you have any advise as its the first time something like this has happened.

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Sub contractor..

Postby mark270981 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Steve

Unsure from what you have written regards the ins and outs.

Do you have proof he has ripped out your work?

All sounds a bit of a mess, and I’m unsure why you sent an invoice to his client?

As a general rule we do the following.

Price job
Win job - get client to accept our t and c’s
Create drawing
Get drawing signed off
Build and install
Get job signed off
Invoice
Chase invoice
Receive payment.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Bottom line, if the contract was for day work, i.e. he said "can you come and do some work for me for x number of days..." he owes you the money no matter what, you were employed for a days work, what you did in that day has nothing to do with it, he owes you for your time, not what you produced. The danger with day work is with the employer not the employee.

Obviously there are advantages for both parties if all is going well.

Please do not take my word for it, get some proper advice if you are genuinely owed the money, go get it, legally and professionally, if not, chalk it up to experience and move on. Both will you cost you, you just have to decide the worth of those costs to your health and well being.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:51 am

I do quite a lot of Carpentry work sub-contracting to "Carpentry Contractors" (Firms that take on the carpentry element of a large contract). So I often work in the same situation as you do regarding my pay.

In this situation both you and I are contracted on an ongoing basis as required and paid for the work we do each day/hour.

In this case you seem to have been working, first on some doors at location A, then on some flats at location B.

You said he is refusing to pay you but what for, the doors at A or Flats at B?

You said you told him you are not going to finish the doors at A until you have been paid and not he has taken your work out at the Flats B.

You can either try to work things out with this chap by negotiation (compromise on the money owed) but if that fails: You need a paper trail so Write to him explaining the hours of work that you have done for him and the money he owes you. Ask him for payment within two weeks.

If that fails you can try the small claims court which won't cost much but will consume your time and that's worth money to you.

Good luck.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 pm

There's a free citizens advice number you can call. Google it. Or even better there are citizens advice offices in most towns and it's free to drop in and discuss your problem with someone who can put you on to solicitors etc.
Some of these solicitors will give you a free hour of legal advice which is handy.

Return to “Woodworking”