Workbench help

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
coge85

Workbench help

Postby coge85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi,

I am currently setting up my recently purchased shed with a few tools (table saw, router, pillar drill etc) for use for hobby work. The one thing that I have not got and is essential to most, if not all work, is a bench.

I am looking for some suggestions on where i could get a decent enough workbench for a couple of hundred pounds. I have saw a couple online but they have varying reviews so thats why I am turning to you guys to see if I can gather some words of advise from the experience!

Thanks very much in advance!!

Steve

promhandicam

Re: Workbench help

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Make your own would be my advice. Some 4 x 2 and a sheet of mdf and you're done. If you don't have the facility to handle full sheets of mdf get your local timber yard to cut it to size.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 am

Agree just make one from 4x2. Can be built in place and made nice and heavy! Don't get sucked in by online photos of pretty roubo workbenches! You won't want to saw/drill through those!!
Also possible to build it so it doubles up as a big outfeed table for the tablesaw.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:20 am

This is a "temporary" 8x4 workbench I built erm.... 4 years ago! Put some 20mm dowel through the legs to support panels and doors. Mdf top with 20mm holes for clamps etc. Total cost about £40?
20180112_142347.jpg

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 am

Another here with home made temporary work bench, mine was made temporary about 20 year's ago, changed the legs and tops a few times :D

coge85

Postby coge85 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I had a feeling that it would be best to build one but just wanted to make sure that there was no suggestions of somewhere that had decent enough benches at a reasonable price. I nearly bought one the other week but still quite expensive for what seemed to be a bench that was not massively sturdy. I now need to find some time to build one. Not going to happen anytime soon as I am about to spend the best part of 6 weeks away from home.

Thanks again!

Steve

Return to “Woodworking”