Stock Warp - rough dimension first?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
simonplights

Stock Warp - rough dimension first?

Postby simonplights » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice please. I have some oak boards in the garage that have been there for a while, and I'm looking to turn them in to some shelves for the kitchen.

Each board is between 150-200mm wide, 45-50mm thick and between 1.5-2m long. They've been sat in my standard single-brick-skin uninsulated, unheated garage for nearly 2 years now, all laying flat (not leaning up against a wall). They all mostly rough sawn, with 1 or 2 planed faces, but mostly just rough. They are all pretty straight though, not a lot of bow or cup. I'd like to keep the width the same but bring them down to about 600mm long for these shelves.

So to my question: Should I either:

- Bring the boards in to the kitchen at full length to acclimatise, then take them back to the garage to cut, plane, thickness and build OR
- Roughly dimension them to length, bring in to kitchen to acclimatise, then take back to plane, thickness and build

Aiming for planed thickness of 35/40mm-ish, as thick as possible really, so the less bow/cup the better.

Many thanks!

Simon

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Stock Warp - rough dimension first?

Postby davidpidge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:08 pm

I would cut them to finished length+100mm (if you have enough length) first then put them on sticks in the room where they'll be installed for a week or 2 and see if they move. (100mm extra length covers checks and planer snipe later)
Having a reliable moisture meter will be useful so you can check the freshly cut end before it goes in the house and check again after a few days.
Then if they do move wait until they stop and plain one face then return to the house for a day or 2 then machine to finished size.

Wait for confirmation as that's what I would do not necessarily what you should do!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Were they dry boards before going in the garage? If they were green when they went in the garage 2 years wont have been long enough to dry them out probably. Moisture meter will tell.

simonplights

Postby simonplights » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Cheers David. They were bought kiln dried from a local hardwood supplier at the time.

I’ll look at picking up a meter.

Thanks

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 pm

What David said. Plus make sure that you thickness equally off both sides.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

simonplights

Postby simonplights » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:16 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:What David said. Plus make sure that you thickness equally off both sides.

Sorry for the slow reply. Boards are cut down to length + spare and resting on sticks in the kitchen for a while.

Could you please clarify what you mean by thickness equally off both sides? I'm going to take a guess that you mean removing half of the required thickness loss from each faces so that the same depth of fresh wood is exposed on both sides, thus meaning they don't cause the board to warp once the piece is assembled?

I want to keep as much thickness as possible in the boards, so hopefully are it'll be a case of planing one face, thicknessing the other to parallel and then just leaving it be, I hope...

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:18 pm

simonplights wrote:
thatsnotafestool wrote:What David said. Plus make sure that you thickness equally off both sides.

Could you please clarify what you mean by thickness equally off both sides? I'm going to take a guess that you mean removing half of the required thickness loss from each faces so that the same depth of fresh wood is exposed on both sides, thus meaning they don't cause the board to warp once the piece is assembled?

Exactly so.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Woodworking”