Kitchen worktop help

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Gareth7

Kitchen worktop help

Postby Gareth7 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi everyone. I'm installing a kitchen at the minute with a solid Oak L-shaped worktop (IKEA Rasunda 3.8mm thick) and need help making a decision on where to place the cut. I should add that I am not a professional, this is for a family member. I have installed kitchens before but never a solid wood worktop so I am being careful and cautious as I do not want the end result to be a mess! This is my first time posting on this forum.

The long wall on which the worktop is placed is 2600 long, the longest piece of wood is 2460 long. There is then a ceramic sink on the shorter section of the L and then another piece of wood. The sink rests on the worktop and means that a break in the worktop is required. The questions I have are:

1. Normally I would be happy to just make a butt joint in the wood and join panels 1&2 (left pic) but I am worried about the close proximity to the sink with regard to water possibly getting into the joint and wreaking havoc. The only other option I can think of is to add a small piece of off-cut at the wall end of the long panel (the 2460 panel was the longest available). There are 3 bits of wood required either way as far as I can tell. Which is the better option in your opinion or is there any other option? Am I being over cautious with the joint? I would of course seal the joint but if you can offer suggestions on best sealers to use then that is much appreciated. I should say that the sink can't move due to other restrictions. The image attached explains the two options
Kitchen.PNG

2. The factory cut comes with a bevelled edge ~3mm rad. I assume whatever way I join the wood the best option here is to remove the bevelled edge of each panel and join two flat edges?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Re: Kitchen worktop help

Postby thekarter » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 am

I would go for the picture on the right. Is the sink really that big i.e. from the wall to wider than the worktop? What are you going to do about a draining board or is that built into the sink?
Alan

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 pm

I would go for something similar to the picture on the rhs.
If your worktop is one of the Ikea veneered tops, I would put the join somewhere in front of the hob and put a completely new lipping on, if done well you would not see the joint.

Jonathan

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Jonathan wrote:I would go for something similar to the picture on the rhs.
If your worktop is one of the Ikea veneered tops, I would put the join somewhere in front of the hob and put a completely new lipping on, if done well you would not see the joint.

Jonathan

The OP states that it is a solid wood work top.
Alan

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Is it too late or out of budget to do the long run down the left side with the wood in one piece and replace part '3' with stone w/ draining grooves? It'd only cost a couple hundred and last infinitely longer than timber being used as a draining board.

Otherwise go for the right side layout if you're confident you can cut and join a piece on the end of the long run. With biscuits and worktop bolts it should be ok. Sand and finish. also you could scribe pieces 1 & 2 before joining them which would be easier.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:50 pm

David,
Over here in Spain, Ikea solid wood tops are 2mm solid on chipboard.
My Swedish cabinet maker friend priced some solid tops for a client, she thought It was very expensive.
So she had some solid tops fitted by Ikea.
Couple of month's later she called my friend in a right state and needed help, friend went to see her and the tops had delaminated, she wanted help to put them right so was given her the original quote with the added cost of taking the old tops out.
He didn't hear from her again......

If the op is having the Ikea porcelain sink, which are nice, they sit on top of the worktop by about 15mm and draning is a problem.

Jonathan

Return to “Woodworking”