Elliptical window mouldings

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Elliptical window mouldings

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:07 am

Hi guys

Just wondering how you'd go about making these elliptical mouldings in the top windows? I'm guessing that they are plant-ons. Or buy them in from somewhere but where ?

Also interested in how you'd approach the cornicing. It has rather a large cross-section which almost certainly needs to be assembled from smaller pieces, I think.

Buy-in ? Spindle mould it...some very large curves though meaning very large cutters or multiple passes then sanding where the cuts overlap ? Need about 25 linear metres.

Or maybe those cornice mouldings are GRP or similar ?
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: Elliptical window mouldings

Postby Leveller2911 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Firstly I would draw it out full size.Then make a ply/mdf template (allowing extra on the length to aid spindle moulding later) . I would make them out of either 2 (half) or 4 (quarter) sections for stability so plane up some wide boards, mark out using the template allowing 3-5 mm extra on the width (each side) and bandsaw/jigsaw them out..

Then In turn pin each of them them to the template and spindle them flush (finished dimensions) either via a ring fence or rebate block with a bearing guide above which would run against the template... Once dimensioned to finished size I would mould and rebate on the spindle with a ring fence... There are some good resources online about elipses and how to set them out.Always allow for a couple of extra's just in case.. Cornice wise I would just try and break it down into smaller sections and construct on site..

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/03/ ... t-ellipse/

Regards Leveller

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Many thanks, Leveller. Definitely food for thought.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:Many thanks, Leveller. Definitely food for thought.

For the elliptical sections I'd do it same as leveller. Once you have the final shape squared off ready for the mould, Instead of using the ring fence and or bearing guide to run against you might like to try a ply cradle the shape of the ellipse and set this on the spindle table. Use a pressure plate at the point where the cutter projects and does the cut, so the timber is held in place and you can then keep your fingers out of the way of the cutters. Then run the, square, elliptical sections through the cradle and pressure plate to do the moulding. It can be fiddly trying to hold thin sections of curved timber flat on a spindle, a cradle may help. You could also use a router for the process as the sections seem small enough for a router to handle the job. If you do use a spindle moulder you will need a bonnet guard to cover the cutters and protect your pinkies.

If you have the cutters and a nice spindle the cornice is a fairly straightforward moulding job just break it down so it can be built into manageable elements and glued together with loose tongs. Or you could look at using pigs ear handrail and jointing two sections in the middle to give a wide cornice. I have done this with hardwood pigs ear handrail over a bay window and it looked quite good. I did not have a spindle moulder at the time but had the handrail left over from a job so found it a handy way of overcoming a small problem, as the local boys would have charged me a fortune to do the moulding.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:45 am

Is that your new house Roger?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

Meccarroll wrote:Is that your new house Roger?

LOL ! No...ours is much scruffier.

Many thanks for the advice, Mark.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Woodworking”