Woodworm

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
simonplights

Woodworm

Postby simonplights » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello,

So after some very useful advice on my last post here, I would appreciate some more help please. I should say that I’ve searched quite a lot for woodworm info - but the majority of information is written towards installed timbers in damp environments, whereas my situation is a bit different.

So:
- I have 8-10 boards of 45mm thick European oak. It has been in my unheated, uninsulated garage for about a year, and was purchased kiln-dried from a hardwood supplier about 2 years ago.

- I recently decided to make some shelves from it, so once cut to rough dims, I stacked 5 boards of it on spacers in the kitchen last week to acclimatise before machining.

- Upon a little inspection today, I noticed 8-10 flight holes 1-2mm diameter at one end of one of the boards. They could have been there for ages, I didn’t inspect the timber to that detail when I brought it in

- my current plan is to machine it, then treat it with a cure+prevent woodworm spray, then finish it with some sort of oil.

Given it’s February, is it likely the woodworm is still active?
Or will these be from last year?
Could it be in the other 4 boards but just hasn’t come out yet?
My house pretty new and centrally heated and there is no damp-ish wood that I would worry about being a target, should I take any precautions now?

I checked the roof beams in the garage for flight holes but there is nothing there, however the stock was kiln dried when it arrived so it must have happened in the garage...

Any advice much appreciated!!

Thank you,

Simon

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Woodworm

Postby woodsmith » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 am

I think that the larva are active all year but they emerge to fly off to timbers new in May. The chances are these are old holes that you didn't spot earlier. The kilning process would kill any woodworm off, and woodworm like moist wood, once the moisture content gets below 20% they aren't normally a problem. I doubt that kilned wood even store in a garage would attract woodworm in the short term. When I get wood like this to be on the safe side I use an aerosol injector made by Ronseal and squirt it down all the flight holes, I wouldn't normally treat all the timber. The other thing to look at is if it's sapwood, that does attract them more and would be worth treating a bit more thoroughly.
Keith

Return to “Woodworking”