Teak supplier or alternative

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
promhandicam

Teak supplier or alternative

Postby promhandicam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 pm

I've been commissioned to build a bathroom cupboard to match an existing teak vanity unit. Other than Robins in Bristol, does anyone have any suggestions for a supplier of teak - I need boards up to 150mm wide or can suggest an alternative that isn't on the CITES list (like afrormosia). Iroko is a possibility but is really too dark. I've tried Brooks and Timberline - the former only have up to 90mm wide and the latter don't have any at all.

murdoch

Re: Teak supplier or alternative

Postby murdoch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

I’ve got some you could buy but I’m in Suffolk, a bit far from you. Have about 4 lengths 150 x 25 by 3.5m and around 10 pieces 250x30x1000. All from an old staircase we removed, very clean boards.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm

That is a very generous offer and would probably just about be enough. The trouble is that I am trying to match this unit below which has a lot of sapwood in it, so perversely good quality teak may not be suitable. Let me talk to the customer and I'll get back to you.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Boat builders/yards often use Teak etc for repairs and construction. If you have any local it might be worth contacting them also.

I worked for a local Yacht builder many years ago and we must have gone through several trees each year so I recon boat builders would be knowledgable for supplies of teak.

Return to “Woodworking”