Sedgwick planer setting

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Sedgwick planer setting

Postby rhrwilliams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi all I have a recently acquired Sedgwick 10” planer thicknesser.

I’m having real trouble with it getting it set up properly . I also have a Wadkin surface planer which Is easy to set up so don’t know why this one is so difficult

Problem I’m having is I’m getting very bad snipe I can’t get rid of and no matter how hard I try cannot get it to thickness without pushing the stock through . The feed rollers are metal so don’t think they are worn or anything - I’ve lubricated beds ...

Can you buy a setting jig for these ? I have seen some for sale but don’t think they will Work as the outfeed table is fixed so you can’t lower it to get to block .

Any thoughts would be appreciated

JonR
Occasional Poster

Re: Sedgwick planer setting

Postby JonR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Is your out feed bed adjustable at all or fixed, are there any springs under the blades to give some resistance when setting height, is your infeed thicknessing roller clogged with sappy wood possibly ?

I have read on here about Tersa blade conversion kits and that's what i was looking at until i bought the Felder with the spiral cutting block its soooo quiet compared to the Sagar i had.

Get a quote off these people they probably can make one for Sedgwick, yiou can treat yourself for the next 3 birthadays and xmas pressies :o

https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_for_Planers

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Which one have you got? I had an old MB which was a complete cow to set up, it would snipe on both ends.
Have you adjusted the pressure rollers and feed rollers each side of the blade? Has it got the adjustable roller on the bed?
I also found that if you put softwood through it when it was set up nicely for hardwood then you would get bad roller marks in the timber.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 pm

rhrwilliams wrote:Hi all I have a recently acquired Sedgwick 10” planer thicknesser.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Where are you located? I have the mb with the adjustable outfeed table which makes it much easier to set up. Is it just setting the blades parallel in the block your struggling with? Snipe in the thicknesser can be solved by adjusting the various springs underneath for the rollers. It took a bit of time before i had mine set up perfectly.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi all

It’s a Sedgwick PT225

Jon - it doesn’t have any springs in the block like my Wadkin does. Those spiral blocks look good but Not sure I can stretch to one of those.

I’ve cleaned all the tables etc , the outfeed is fixed but on closer inspection you can adjust the thicknesser rollers ! They are adjusted from underneath . I’ll have a go at this first to see if adjusting these help

It’s not just getting blades parallel that’s the problem , it’s getting it to cut properly I’m having problems with. hopefully adjusting the rollers will help . I’m in East Sussex . I’ll have a go with adjusting rollers first

If I can’t get it working well enough , I got it for a good price so I will sell it and buy the big lump of cast iron I’ve always wanted . I love my Wadkin planer but sadly it’s overhead only - really well built , easy to use / set up / really hard to get machines like this single phase though

ndbrown

Postby ndbrown » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi I covered the complete strip down and rebuild of one of these on another forum. The outfeed table is shimmed from the factory, the shims are fitted under the base of the table where the two bolts fix it to the front and back main casting. As long as someone has not removed or refitted these incorrectly then I would trust Sedgwick to have aligned everything from the factory. It’s a simply constructed machine but the simple construction belies the care and attention at the factory when machining the castings accurately. I set my knives up exactly as shown in the manual. It’s possible that the previous owner did not lubricate the thicknesser bed regularly and confused poor feeding of stock with winding in the tension springs too much. I replaced the springs on mine and set the machine up exactly as per the manual. I got great results and don’t remember any noticeable snipe during the three years I used it. I would also remove the drive belt and check the cutterblock bearings for wear. There should be no radial movement in the bearing other than a little side to side and of course the rotation. It’s highly unlikely the Infeed and outfeed roller bearings are worn. These run really slow in phosphor bronze bearings and even a poor maintenance regime should still find these fine.
Nigel

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Nigel, thanks for this.

How does it say to set up the knives in the manual ?

Return to “Woodworking”