dust extraction advice

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Flat cap

dust extraction advice

Postby Flat cap » Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am

Hello there , some advice needed please
I have a 6metre by 10 metre workshop and at present have two jet DC1100A extractors that I move about to each machine
kapax mitre saw
dewalt bench top thicknesser
wadkin 9" planer
jet 182 bandsaw
big boy linisher axminster
2 ujk router tables
Sedgewick morticer
Sedgewick ta315 table saw
pooolewood lathe
record piller drill
dewalt scroll saw
I'm trying to upgrade to a better easier system. I have now got a festool c26 and Oneida cyclone for my power tools at the bench.
I have a single garage adjoining my workshop that I want to put in a bigger extractor with big cyclone that I can duct outside in summer( filter in winter to keep my heat) . Put in a ducted system to each machine so I do not have to mess about and it would be much quitter in the room next door.
My question is instead of spending a fortune on anew extractor could i combine the two extractors i have. They have a 5" pipe outlet on them.
Duct them both to the cyclone in 5" then a 5" ducted system into the workshop around the machines with 100mm drops and gates.
Duct the outlet to both machines outside seperatley so im not creating a full circuit system.
When both on will they approx double uo the suction or just suck from each other.
Ive had camvacs with twin motors , is this the same principal?

promhandicam

Re: dust extraction advice

Postby promhandicam » Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. In another life as an engineering apprentice I seem to remember a senior designer had worked on prototypes of hovercraft, and they found that using two fans to give lift was no different to one, as it was practically impossible for both to operate identically. Effectively even though both were turning the less powerful provided no added power. Assuming I've remembered this correctly, I think that the same could be applied to an extractor and there will be no appreciable benefit in having two extractors connected to the same system.

Flat cap

Postby Flat cap » Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate the advice.
I have since acquired a super dust deputy on fleabay.
As I have the two extractors I'm going to connect them up to the cyclone in a mock set up. They have 125mm outlets which I wil equally y junction into a 150mm pipe straight into the cyclone, worth a try as I have them. if its rubbish I can sell the two jet extractors and find myself a 3hp 240volt extractor fan, any reccomendations?
Thank you for your reply Steve, I have to say that I am a little disappointed that my question got 90 views but only one reply, shame.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 am

Flat cap wrote:....
Thank you for your reply Steve, I have to say that I am a little disappointed that my question got 90 views but only one reply, shame.

Perhaps no-one thought that they could offer any advice.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Woodworking”