Engineered oak door defects

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
mja

Engineered oak door defects

Postby mja » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:51 pm

I recently bought an engineered oak front door. I applied the base and top coats as required. When fully prepared I stored it upright, outside against my house wall, expecting it to be fitted in a couple of days. That night we had rain which the door was exposed to for the first time. The next morning I noticed one of the panels on the outer side of the door had blistered about 30cm from the base. On contacting the supplier I was told:

"Stood outside (on the ground) it would allow water to run down the face and under the bottom (where it is sat on the floor and not raised as it would be in a frame), no weather bar is evident to protect the bottom edge (though if the door was sat on the floor the weather bar would not help prevent any ingress). This would not indicate a manufacturing fault, and has been left for water to ingress, without being ready for the installation process. that the problem had occurred because the rain water had not been able to run under the door."

However,even if this was true, the damage occurred on the outward facing side which meant that the base of the door of this side was raised as it was resting at an angle to the wall.

Other panels have cracks in them which I am worried will also allow water egress. These panels were along the length of the door and on the side most sheltered by the house wall. When sent photos as evidence I was told:

"If the cracks were noticeable upon un packaging the door, this should have been notified to us at this time so that we could check this with the manufacturer. As the door has been left out in the circumstances it has, moisture ingress has occurred which results in the splitting and cracking of the veneer, which are apparent from the images provided."

The door is fully treated and surely should withstand rain!

Are they correct or do I have a case for a full refund?
Attachments
IMG_20180531_170722835.jpg
IMG_20180528_120655165#1.jpg

promhandicam

Re: Engineered oak door defects

Postby promhandicam » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. As a matter of interest, where did you buy from? Also what finish did you apply, how many coats and did you just do the faces or the top and bottom too.

mja

Postby mja » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm

I bought from Oakwood doors and its manufactured by XL Joinery. I applied a base coat and 2 top coats to the faces and top and bottom together with an end of wood sealer to both top and bottom, as supplied and recommended by Oakwood doors. All this was done before it was exposed to weather.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 am

Was this supplied as an external door?
Keith

mja

Postby mja » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:37 am

Yes.It's described as "external door oak double glazed"

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 pm

From what you have said, I would think you would have grounds for full refund. I had something similar with a veneered exterior door from Magnets and after a lot of backwards and forwards did get a full refund although they didn't cover the cost of my labour fitting it. I would now never fit a veneered door where it was exposed to the elements. My old next door neighbour, also a chippy, had the same thing with a benchmarx door.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Just to add that the cracking shown in your first picture is quite common due to the veneer shrinking, but the bubbling is clearly defective veneering where the glue has failed. It can't be due to wicking as it is some distance from the bottom. If they won't play ball and you want to pursue it then maybe talk to CAB and investigate small claims court.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:42 am

As Prom says definitely defective. I've reluctantly fitted a few engineered doors and not been called back to any of them so they should be reasonably durable.
Keith

mja

Postby mja » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice
I shall stand firm!

mja

Postby mja » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:37 am

Sorry, should have asked before. Are there any exterior oak door manufacturers you would recommend?

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

If it is going to be exposed to the weather then personally no for off the shelf doors. Depending where you are then there are plenty of people on here who are more than capable of making one but they will be significantly more than a ready made veneered door. If it is going to be protected by a porch then maybe you will be ok with a door from the likes of Magnets - at the end of the day they probably all come out of the same factory.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Give LPD doors a call and ask about veneer thickness on there doors, i have fitted engineered Oak doors that have construction veneer faces of 3mm and they have held up very well. I have seen veneer lifting like on yours also.

https://www.lpddoors.co.uk/external-doo ... oak-doors/

mja

Postby mja » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like I've got a full refund. Thanks again for your advice.
Does anybody fancy giving me a quote to make a solid oak door?
I live in Derby
I would like a contemporary stile, something like the attached photo
My email address is m.amatt@sky.com
Attachments
IMG_20180530_102100300_HDR.jpg

Return to “Woodworking”