Cutting a circular oak worktop best method

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Cutting a circular oak worktop best method

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 am

Hi all, I am currently fitting a kitchen and have to inset a large Oak circular worktop rebated on top of a granite worktop. Has anyone fit one on site? and do you have any suggestions for the best method of cutting the circle. My initial thoughts are use a trammel and fix a router to it but then I thought make a template and router the circle using a bush. Just asking for your thoughts.

If I use a trammel I will have to fix it in the centre of the circle this means one side of the circle can't be used for the top as it will have a fixing hole in it and I would have to be very careful not to break through and blow the face side when making my final cut (I'd be making plunge cuts gradually and the final one could be problematic). I think using a template and bush might be easier but I'm very open to suggestions.

I have done curved work on a spindle before but this is a bit different as it will be done on site using a router and have a lot of end grain.

Cheers Mark

promhandicam

Re: Cutting a circular oak worktop best method

Post by promhandicam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm

I'd be tempted to mark it out and roughly cut to size with a jigsaw first leaving only 3 or 4mm oversize and then finish off with a router fixed to a tramel doing it in one pass. Using a template you would have to stop a couple of times to move the clamps or screw it to the worktop.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:36 pm

promhandicam wrote:I'd be tempted to mark it out and roughly cut to size with a jigsaw first leaving only 3 or 4mm oversize and then finish off with a router fixed to a tramel doing it in one pass. Using a template you would have to stop a couple of times to move the clamps or screw it to the worktop.
Yes and cheers for that, cutting the initial shape within 3-4mm is a good idea and I will use that. My main concern using a trammel is the position is fixed and I would have to drop straight through the worktop with the router cutter for finishing the cut and I'm slightly bothered about breakout to the underside surface. As a trammel needs to be securely fixed at the centre point all working would start from one side and because of the fixing this would end up being the bottom of the worktop, and so the underside would end up being the top meaning if breakout occurred it would be seen. I may be over-thinking this but I just want to cover all aspects if I can. I will be forming the shape tuesday so have a bit of time to play with.

It's a good idea to make an initial cut within 3-4mm and any more tips would be appreciated.

Many thank's Mark

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 pm

I had to do something similar and glued a piece of ply, pre fitted with a pin, to the surface with a few spots of glue from a hot melt glue gun. You would need to make sure it would come away easily without marking the surface, it did for me but you would need to test it first. The other thing I found was that I needed to take very small cuts, depth wise. The change in grain direction as you go round can cause major problems if you try to take too much off in one go.
Keith

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:05 am

Use a 50mm shear cutter with a bearing top and bottom, use a template and flip the top when necessary to work with the grain.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:35 am

Many thank's for the replies. I like the idea of using a few spots of hot melt glue as this would add to the security of holding down a template, thank you woodsmith. Also many thank's for mentioning the use of a double bearing cutter, Senior, and the length required it sounds a very good idea, and I do appreciate the advice, especially as you are an expert in this area of work.

Many thank's chaps.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Post by thekarter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:40 pm

It may be obvious but if using a trammel bar don't stop the router then start it again with it engaged with the wood, the torque will twist the router.
Alan

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Just an update on the circular oak worktop I asked advice about from you chaps:

Marking out the circle on some spare 18mm MDF using a piece of thin ply a screw for the centre and a pencil to mark out with. I used a bush as a guide so reduced the template circle to accommodate the clerance between the bush and router cutter.

After marking out the circle I used a router + trammel to cut a template for the circle using the MDF.

The MDF template was then used to mark the top of the oak worktop allowing it to be slightly over size for trimming. I cut the worktop using a jigsaw.

I used clamps to hold the MDF template to the oak worktop for routing. Moving and re-positioning the clamps after I had finished all sections. If you look close at the edge you will see where I had the clamp and have just started to route a shallow section at the top of the worktop.

This picture shows how I first performed a light cut in the top of the worktop to prevent breakout. Each cut was made about 6mm deep until I had cut through to the bottom.

The worktop finished

And a close up of the edge.

Many thank's to all who added suggestions. This job was done for a main contractor who supplied materials and router bits. I would use a Shear bit with two bearings next time as this was suggested by a member of the forum and I could see the obvious benefits after using a plain cutter with bush.

Many thank's to all for your help and suggestions.

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Post by Rogerdodge » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Good solution.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 am

I generally prefer to use bearing guided cutters for template work. After rough cutting to slight oversize, I wind a couple of layers of masking tape around the bearing for the first routing cut which leaves the job marginally oversize. Then peel off the tape to make a final trim cut which will remove any burn marks.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 pm

9fingers wrote:I generally prefer to use bearing guided cutters for template work. After rough cutting to slight oversize, I wind a couple of layers of masking tape around the bearing for the first routing cut which leaves the job marginally oversize. Then peel off the tape to make a final trim cut which will remove any burn marks.
Bob
Quite a good tip: Use masking tape so and removing it on the final cut to make a super smooth finish burn free. Great tip!

Mark

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 am

Duly noted!