Bonding Brass to wood

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
martin.pearson

Bonding Brass to wood

Postby martin.pearson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 pm

New here & couldn't see a section for introducing yourself, if one exists then happy to say a few words about myself :D

I have a job at the moment where I would like to inset brass squares into the top of wooden posts. I will ocket the ends of the posts which will be either Larch or Oak so the 100mm square brass plate will sit flush & would rather not use fixings for security & overall looks. The brass will be bonded to the endgrain so just wondering what would be my best option as a bonding agent/ahesive

promhandicam

Re: Bonding Brass to wood

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. Are these posts going to be kept indoor or are they for the exterior? If outdoors then there will be a lot more movement and I would think that something with a degree of flexibility would be necessary. If indoors then I would probably go for some sort of 2 part epoxy.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 am

As phc says i would only consider either epoxy or stixall, out of the 2 i would tend to go for stix all. Its made by everbuild, i buy it in boxes of 12. just goes in a silicone gun. you will probably pay about £4,50 a tube, get crystal clear as if their is a tiny bit of play around the brass the clear will hide this but you will see through it an see brass an wood its that clear an it is unbelievably flexible an you can put it on wet surfaces an it doesn't effect it. just clean up with a handy wipe.

martin.pearson

Postby martin.pearson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply, these will be exterior, they will actually be rubbing posts for a nature trail so exterior, the brass square will have a woodland animal shape machined so people can brass rub them. I have bonded lots of different materrials over the years but not worked with wood a lot & since this is also end grainI wasn't sure if that was going to cause extra problems.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm

+1 for Stixall for what you are wanting to do. Other hybrid polymer adhesives are available however :)

martin.pearson

Postby martin.pearson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm

Quote is in so see how it goes, thanks for the replies, always helps to ask the experts.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm

martin.pearson wrote:Quote is in so see how it goes, thanks for the replies, always helps to ask the experts.

Just don't blame us if it goes tits up :lol:

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Experts?????

martin.pearson

Postby martin.pearson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Tomyjoiner wrote:Experts?????

Anyone who knows more than me is an expert, & trust me there are very few (if any) who know less :D :D :D

Return to “Woodworking”