Finish on pallet projects

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
BigPete72

Finish on pallet projects

Postby BigPete72 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Hello, new member alert!
I have been making different items from recycled pallet wood for the past six months and have tried unsuccessfully to sell a couple of them. My worry is that I am finishing them too neatly and not leaving them rough as a dog's fundament.
I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and the idea of leaving a job looking rough is alien to me. Unfortunately, it seems I am in the minority. Does anybody else make items from pallet wood and try to finish them nicely or am I swimming against the tide?

promhandicam

Re: Finish on pallet projects

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've not made anything from recycled wood but have seen quite a few pictures of things made from pallets. Most seem to be painted and I think that would be the way I'd go. Trying to varnish or wax something as rough as pallet wood is going to be a struggle.

Best of luck!

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:41 am

if you put a few pics up it might help for answers as you need to take looks into consideration, some people like the roughness, different coloured planks, slight different thicknesses etc.

BigPete72

Postby BigPete72 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I have some picture frames to make and may try something different with them.

martin.pearson

Postby martin.pearson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 pm

I will take a stab at this, firstly without pictures its not really possible to answer your question & the reason for that is because the finish on any project (IMO) is dependant on the project itself, pallet wood is just wood that is rough sawn, plane & thickness it & most people would never know it had once been part of a pallet lol
Sort through a bunch & I am sure you would be able to find pieces that will take a stain very well, you also have finishes now to make it look like stone, metal etc etc so the fact that it was once pallet wood is irrelevant. If your design calls for a rustic look then don't finish it by fine sanding, staining & polishing.
As to you not selling a couple of pieces well there are a million reasons why you might not have sold anything as well as your theory about you over finishing them, to start with the price may be to expensive or to cheap, might have been a bad time of the year for people money wise, you might not have got the items in front of the right buyers, people don't know who you are, pictures & descriptions may have been badly done, sure there will be lots of other reasons but without more detail hard to comment.

Just as an aside, I don't think your job as a mechanical engineer has much to do with you not being able to leave it looking rough may be more the type of person you are, I spent 20 years in the RN as a mechanical engineer, I tell people I am not artistic because I don't think I am but I am good at reverse engineering if I see something then I can normally copy it or adapt it a little so it doesn't look exactly the same & that would include what ever sort of finish it had lol

Return to “Woodworking”