External door - Medite Accoya for panels ?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

External door - Medite Accoya for panels ?

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 am

Hi chaps

LOML wants this back door made for us.

georgian door external.png

georgian back door inside view.png

I was proposing to make the rails and stiles from Tricoya but was wondering about the panels. Would it be better to use Medite Accoya ?

Regarding the construction, those panels look flush on the original and so I'm guessing that maybe they rebated the rails and stiles and dropped the panels in ?

That c*ck bead ...can't get my head round that one. Planted on ? It's not on the panel..RH middle panel has split but the bead is intact. I don't think it's moulded onto the rails or stiles (could be though) as it doesn't run al the way through that top rail, for example. But it doesn't look planted on as they look flush with the panels and rails etc. Mmmmm.....coming round, as I type, that they are moulded on the rails and stiles.

TIA
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: External door - Medite Accoya for panels ?

Postby Leveller2911 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Evening TNAF,
You are proposing to use Tricoya for the stiles ,rails etc which is the Accoya MDF. Which is hugely expensive for 1 door but it is very good stuff. Or you could use Birch ply as a second option, not as good but would still last as long as you fully prime all edged ,gooves,rebates etc prior to assembling the door.

I would use Sapele for the stiles and rails etc and go for Tricoya (Accoya MDF) for the panels. I use it a lot for external flat panels but as I don't have tungsten panel moulding cutters I tend to go for Sapele panels if they are raised and fielded etc.

I would make the door out of Sapele and make flat panels but do a stepped rebate on the panels so the main rebate will slot in the groove in the stiles and the second rebate will allow you to fix a planted on c*ck bead which will then finish almost flush with the outside face . Basically rebate the panel to fit the groove, rebate a second rebate to accept the bead and the when you have made the beads mitre them around the panels before you glue up........Always works for me and I Hope you get my drift?..

Leveller

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am

Hi Leveller. Thanks for your excellent suggestions.

I'm also coming round to Sapele as Tricoya apparently is very pricey at the moment. Then use Medite Accoya for the panels.

Re the c*ck bead. Is this what you had in mind ?

external door.png
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Postby Tomyjoiner » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Yes thats it, as keveller said. Accoya is 3 tines the price of sapele an the last sheet of tricoya I bought was 85+vat an that was just 3/8 an you will need thicker to allow for the rebate an co@k bead. But its good stuff.

Return to “Woodworking”