Drying an Oak slab?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
cheddarman

Drying an Oak slab?

Post by cheddarman » Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Good afternoon one and all and thank you for letting me join your forum.

An Oak treee came down in the last gales and is currently being sawn up for removal. I spied a rather nice looking piece that I thought would make a very nice, small coffee table and the gentleman doing the work very kindly sliced a piece off for me. It is about 3" thick but my problem now is, how do I dry it out without it splitting or the bark coming off?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_5986.jpg

promhandicam

Re: Drying an Oak slab?

Post by promhandicam » Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. With regards to drying your piece of oak, I would leave it outside, under shelter, and hope for the best. Oh and you will need to be patient - the rule of thumb for air drying is 1 year per inch of thickness. The likelihood is that the bark will come off and there isn't a lot that I am aware of that you can do to keep it on as the timber will shrink as it looses moisture. Hopefully others will chip in, but that is my 2p worth.

will1983

Post by will1983 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm

You need to get the cut ends sealed up with some old gloss paint pretty sharpish if you want to stand some chance of it drying without splitting.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm

It's very very difficult to dry a piece of wood like this without it splitting. However if you are very patient you could try wrapping the wood in newspaper and then putting it in a plastic bag, which you seal up. After about a month take it out of the bag, replace the paper and put it back in the bag. A month later the same again and again until the newspaper is completely dry, ( this could well take a couple of years and it will probably develop quite a bit of mould during this time but just ignore it.

Otherwise just put it somewhere well ventilated but out of the sun, it will split but this can be filled decoratively with an epoxy type filler.
Keith

cheddarman

Post by cheddarman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, as expected my slab of Oak has split quite badly, it's also slightly warped.

How can I fill this or what do you suggest I do as I'd still like this to be a small side table.

The warp doesn't matter too much as it's quite thick so can be planed out.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:54 pm

As above, wait another 3 years and then the moisture content will be approaching 10% at which point hopefully it will have stopped shrinking. Cracks would best be filled with epoxy resin