Torch on felt advice

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Torch on felt advice

Post by Meccarroll » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 am

Hi all, am currently replacing the sheeting etc on two adjacent flat Garage roofs (One family member at cost the other one is my daughter so free). I've had a quote for re-felting (Torch on) and the chap wants £950.00 to felt both. The total area is 5.2m long by 5.4m wide. At this point I've just stripped the roofs and need to replace some facia arris and a few joist then re-board. I have a few days to decide but was thinking of maybe doing the torch on felt myself.

Has anyone done torch on felt?

A quick search on material pricing would be (20 year life span):

4 Rolls Cap sheeting 1mx8m @ £60 per roll £240
2 Rolls Under layer sheeting 1mx16m @ £63 per roll £120
Gas Torch kit (50mm nozzle, Hose, regulator) £72
Gas approximately £30

Total for above= £462

That would give me £500 saved any comments much appreciated?

Mark

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Torch on felt advice

Post by woodsmith » Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am

Its possible to cold lay a roof with good results, I did one over 10 years ago and it is still perfect from what I can see. However if I was to to do it today I would look at more modern materials, rubber or fibreglass for instance. Google flat roof systems and you'll find loads of options.
Keith

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 pm

I did a edpm dormer last summer. Had never done it before and bricked it. It was really easy and simple to do in the end. If you go to a roofing place you should be able to buy the amount you need off the roll.

tsb

Post by tsb » Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 am

I did my own garage roof about 25 years ago and it's still going strong. I've quickly looked on ebay and you could get the torch for around £25 and rolls of felt are around £25 a roll, so that's even more of a saving for you

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 am

I was going to redo my workshop roof with torch on but was very worried about the amount of dust i might ignite . Someone suggested doing a fibre glass roof . I priced the system up from Selco and there wasnt much in it cost wise so i went for it . Very easy to do , looks great and wont get damaged by the wind .

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 am

Thank you very much for the replies chaps, it's encouraging to hear that so many of you have done similar work with success.

I do like the sound of the fibreglass system Jason but the two garages I am doing link to another in a block of garages which already has torch on felt applied so I'm staying with the same type of felt for this job, just to be consistent.

MJ80 again EDPM is a different system to torch on and I think I'd be better staying with torch on because of the joint line. I have watched a few videos about EDPM but think it might be better suited when used as stand alone system rather than trying to joint it to torch on. Cheers for the advice.

tsb 25 years is encouraging if I live that long that at is LOL.

So at the stage of: Bought the felt etc and now just got to finish the repairs to the woodwork, Joist, decking etc then felt.

The only detail I'm not entirely sure about is how the capsheet is folded at the front corner gutter edge where it folds and is cut around the arris and facia upstand so if anyone has a picture of this detail as it happens I'd appreciate it please.

Mark

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Ive done loads of it in my younger days, if done right will easily last 25+ years. You can hire torch an gas if you want to save a bit more. Im having a few beers just now but ill do a sketch in morning of how the drip goes with the felt if its any use to you. Is it green mineral on top or a clean roll, if green mineral watch ur torch on the overlap end, too much heat will leave scorch marks. Also we used to have a smaller hend torch for doing all the flashings, more control.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Tomyjoiner wrote:Ive done loads of it in my younger days, if done right will easily last 25+ years. You can hire torch an gas if you want to save a bit more. Im having a few beers just now but ill do a sketch in morning of how the drip goes with the felt if its any use to you. Is it green mineral on top or a clean roll, if green mineral watch ur torch on the overlap end, too much heat will leave scorch marks. Also we used to have a smaller hend torch for doing all the flashings, more control.
I do really appreciate all the replies on this subject and Tomyjoiner I also appreciate you helping out too. I have been very busy lately and not had a chance to update this thread but I have now managed to complete both roofs felt and all.

I had to do my best with the front drip/corner detail (joint) but I think it seems to have worked out well enough (essentially a free job). I had a 50mm torch for most work and as you say Tomyjoiner tried a smaller torch for the detail work but could not seem to achieve enough heat so reverted to the 50mm for all the work. Maybe I used too small a torch (25mm) could you advise me what size you used Tomyjoiner please?

I'll try to post some pictures later, but for now at least I'd like thank all who commented on this thread.

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

Just thought I'd update this post with a few pictures which might be of interest to some.

Quite a hole!

Some of the rotten roof timbers

More holes

Some rafters needed replacing.

The timber supporting the garage door had completely rotten on this garage.

New timbers in place and re-boarding using OSB3 Sheeting.

All ready for the torch on felt.

Felting started

Front drip

Top view of felt capsheet.

Corner detail which I should have made line up a bit better (I will remember this!!!).

Had a few stormy days since this was finished and all watertight.

Mark

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Proper job.

PS Can I have my blue ladder back now please ? :D Gawd..I got rid of mine...weighted a ton !
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:54 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:Proper job.

PS Can I have my blue ladder back now please ? :D Gawd..I got rid of mine...weighted a ton !
Cheers Roger, and I find your blue ladder very handy, so No! Lol