Rail and stile cutter question.

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Gael61

Rail and stile cutter question.

Post by Gael61 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi All. I'm a newbie on here so be gentle.
I want to make quite a few shaker style panel doors. I have a suitable router and router table. The issue I've come across is trying to find suitable stile and rail cutters. It seems that almost all of them will leave a recess of 1/4 inch for the panel. But I want to use 6mm mdf for the panels. I was looking at some on the Axminster website, while the reviews were positive some buyers had issues, with the groove for the panel causing 6mm to be quite loose. My question is, does anyone know where I can source shaker style rail and stile cutters suitable for 6mm insert? Preferable would the type which cuts both rail and stile by raising the cutter, but any type would do. Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards
Steve

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Rail and stile cutter question.

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:45 am

The way I did it, albeit expensive, was to buy a couple of these and swap out the curly cutter for another straight one.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... e_192.html

Also if you look at the list of spares, it's possible to make what you need up from bits and pieces I think.

Incidentally the best way to do these is not to alter the cutter height but raise the rail/stiles up by putting a suitable packing piece underneath when making the complementary cut.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:39 pm

you can also buy an arbour and a pair of grooving cutters from wealden which I think is what I did. https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Heavy_Duty_64.html

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:27 am

Ive had something simular to this set from cmt for 20 odd years....this looks better than mine as I only got 1 shaft and 4 heads.

https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en/ad ... inet-doors

It can be configured for all size of panels as you stack multiple heads and shims to get the groove correct size

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am

Gael61

Post by Gael61 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks all for your help. Even to find those suppliers was helpful. I'm going to check out all the information given. Will update if/when I find the solution which suits me as it might be useful to others. Thanks again.