1ft Cherry Logs - what to make?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Docjames122

1ft Cherry Logs - what to make?

Post by Docjames122 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 am

I posted this in one of the other fora, but realised the last time it was looked at was February so thought I’d move it:

I’ve acquired some cherry that was chopped into 1ft lengths as it was going to be used for firewood. About 6” diameter. I’ve run one through the table saw and it looks great.

Any ideas for projects I could do using short (and narrow) lengths...

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: 1ft Cherry Logs - what to make?

Post by 9fingers » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:50 pm

Trinket boxes, bandsawn boxes, most novelty items etc
Ideal for xmas gifts if you do that sort of thing.

Woodturning if you have a lathe, small bowls, fruit, pens etc or flog it to turners.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Docjames122

Post by Docjames122 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Bob that is brilliant thanks.

Any ideas how long I should let it dry once I have cut it (is that called in stick?) I’ve cut 3/4”thickness. It has probably been off the tree 12 months

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm

The worst of the cracking (radial cracks on the cut ends) has possibly happened already.
If you did not seal those faces and there not too many crack then you have been lucky.

Paint the ends of your cut boards with surplus gloss paint, even emulsion should help or neat pva. you want the moisture to come out via the flat surfaces and long edges not the end grain.
Make sure there is no worm in the cut boards - usually in the sap wood. If there is any, cut it off and burn it or chuck it in the household waste.
Stack it with spacers (sticks) one at each end as they are only short boards, ideally in the order it was cut so you can book match the grain if you need to to make wider boards.

Weight it down to help stop it curling. Drying time rule of thumb is 1 year per inch. Doing it a bit more scientifically, take one test piece and weigh it accurately recording the weight each week return it to the same atmosphere as the rest of the wood is being stored. When the weekly weight reduction becomes minimal, it will have reached equilibrium with the storage area and be workable with reasonable certainty it will behave itself.
When you come to thickness it, remove similar amounts from each side of the board to minimise risk of warping.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;