Swolen work surface

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
cheddarman

Swolen work surface

Post by cheddarman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:06 am

We moved into our new bungalow only three years ago but already one of the points in the (Howdens) kitchen work surface has "stolen". Obviously some water has got into it (why wasn't it sealed properly?)!
Any advice as to how best to resolve this? To date I have scraped out some of the chipboard and got it reasonably flat but I think in the end I will have to replace the panel???

Any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_6573.jpg

MJ80
Subscriber

Re: Swolen work surface

Post by MJ80 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm

It needs replacing

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 pm

As above. Once they've gone then there is nothing you can do other than replace. Is it close to the sink, or does a kettle often get placed there? These are common causes of blown joints.

cheddarman

Post by cheddarman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm

That's what I thought.
A coffee machine sat there and we didn't realise it was leaking underneath!!
Now to work out how to do a good job replacing this Biot of the surface.

Theres this funny looking thing under the surface I guess pulling it against the adjacent surface?

hikernick

Post by hikernick » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:03 am

Yes, that's a (badly installed) worktop bolt. The other end (the top in your pic) will have a nut on it which you loosen to remove the bolt. However the two bits of worktop will be joined with some kind of sealant as well - usually like a thick PVA glue. You will need to carefully break the joint. Water will dissolve the glue, but unfortunately won't do the worktop much good at the same time. Start by undoing the bolt(s) and see how much movement this allows. You may then be able to cut / pry the pieces apart.

The new piece will need a similar slot and mushroom shape putting in with a router. You can get a jig, or you can (carefully) do it freehand, if you have access to a router.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:43 am

Completely standard worktop clamp and readily available.
Avoid chipboard and go for solid wood next time.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheddarman

Post by cheddarman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:53 pm

I didn't build the house, just bought it three years ago!

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:28 pm

hikernick wrote:Yes, that's a (badly installed) worktop bolt. The other end (the top in your pic) will have a nut on it which you loosen to remove the bolt. However the two bits of worktop will be joined with some kind of sealant as well - usually like a thick PVA glue. You will need to carefully break the joint. Water will dissolve the glue, but unfortunately won't do the worktop much good at the same time. Start by undoing the bolt(s) and see how much movement this allows. You may then be able to cut / pry the pieces apart.

The new piece will need a similar slot and mushroom shape putting in with a router. You can get a jig, or you can (carefully) do it freehand, if you have access to a router.
Actually it looks like a zip bolt, in which case you undo it with a hex key at the end you photographed.

hikernick

Post by hikernick » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Ah, OK. It unscrews, anyway :)

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 am

I think it would be worth trying to repair this as I would think it would be all but impossible to remove this section of worktop and replace it unless they didn't glue the joint at all.

I would get as much of the soft core out as possible using a very fine blade and a vacuum cleaner. Squeeze glue under the laminate, PVA should be ok although it may take a while to dry, then put a scrap piece of wood along the joint before clamping it down. Alternatively you could rout out a large section of worktop and fit a piece of marble being careful to seal all the edges.
Keith

cheddarman

Post by cheddarman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Hey Woodsmith, exactly what I have done and it's "acceptable"! It's in a corner anyway so not in use very much!

Thanks guys.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Or just buy a new coffee machine and put it there .

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 pm

jfc wrote:Or just buy a new coffee machine and put it there .

Now that is a good bit of lateral thinking Jase! :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;