A job for knockdown fittings ?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

A job for knockdown fittings ?

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm

I need to build in a cupboard into this space.

But the drawback is all the plumbing to the right and I need to have the ability to get to that if I need to. I know that I could simply get a standalone cupboard but as we're really short of built-in storage, I really want to maximise every opportunity to build-in.

I've got as far as thinking I'd have a frame fixed to the wall at the back with threaded studs sticking out onto which the cupboard proper would be bolted. But then I thought about the difficulty of handling (a probably heavy) front, RH side, internal framework for shelves etc. So I then started thinking about knockdown fittings that would let me disassemble it into constituent parts...front, RH side etc.

Has anyone used these ? Any to avoid? Gotcha's etc ?

TIA
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: A job for knockdown fittings ?

Post by mark270981 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm

As in KD blocks?
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm

mark270981 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm
As in KD blocks?
No...I'd prefer a hidden jointing system.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:13 pm

I used to use the Haffelfalle cam lock system for my fitted wardrobes . They work really well .

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:57 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm
mark270981 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm
As in KD blocks?
No...I'd prefer a hidden jointing system.
I was going to say!

The best thing i bought was the zeta P2 or whatever its called!

If you have a local rep, just to ask borrow it for the duration of the job in hand then give it back when done and just say you’ll think about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks guys...food for thought although I think the local rep might suss what I was up to.
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:55 am

If you want a completely invisible fixing system then Lamello have the Invis system, not cheap though. I’ve used it and it works brilliantly, the main drawback is the accuracy needed in fitting them, they are best used with a cnc machine but I’ve used them on an oak unit and got them to work. Otherwise can you not just make part of the side of the unit removable so you work on the plumbing from inside the cupboard?
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 am

woodsmith wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:55 am
If you want a completely invisible fixing system then Lamello have the Invis system, not cheap though. I’ve used it and it works brilliantly, the main drawback is the accuracy needed in fitting them, they are best used with a cnc machine but I’ve used them on an oak unit and got them to work. Otherwise can you not just make part of the side of the unit removable so you work on the plumbing from inside the cupboard?
I too used the Invis system and vowed to use it never again. In fact, I wrote an article in British Woodworking which mentioned it's deficiencies. As I recall, not so much the need for ultimate accuracy as the fact that is disassembled itself inside .
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:03 am

So why can't you just divide the built in so one door opens up to the plumbing for access (if needed) and the others open to your storage.

Or knock a hole in the wall through in the passage on the right then just build your cupboard as required.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:20 am

Meccarroll wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:03 am
So why can't you just divide the built in so one door opens up to the plumbing for access (if needed) and the others open to your storage.
If I did that then the only things I could store in that area were upright things like brooms etc. We need shelves. Lots of 'em !
Meccarroll wrote:
Or knock a hole in the wall through in the passage on the right then just build your cupboard as required.
LOL....straight through the hot water cylinder !
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:36 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:20 am
Meccarroll wrote:
If I did that then the only things I could store in that area were upright things like brooms etc. We need shelves. Lots of 'em !
Meccarroll wrote:
LOL....straight through the hot water cylinder !
Well it looks like you will still need access to the that cylinder etc at some stage and if you do cover it in by making a dismantlable cupboard you will have to remove everything in the cupboard and the cupboard too! just to get to the pipework etc so it does not seem to make much sense to make it the way you describe Roger. It will be interesting to see what you come up with Roger.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:01 pm

20200717_205958.jpg
Middle cab pulls out on heavy duty castors for access to water tank and all the plumbing.

NeilCarter

Post by NeilCarter » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:26 pm

The best thing i bought was the zeta P2 or whatever its called!

The Lamello Zeta P2 is excellent. The only downside is the cost.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Festool do KD fittings that work with a domino jointer. I've not used them but I have used dominofix kd fittings although these don't appear to be available anymore.

Ollie78

Post by Ollie78 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Try "peanut" fittings, they are like a mushroom shaped bit that fits into a keyhole slot that you router wiith a jig, I have not used them but they seem good.

My go to method for removeable but solid is Buttonfix fittings, make sure you get the little red locating points, it makes them easier to do.

Ollie

pardu

Post by pardu » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:06 pm

Make two cupboard one for each use, may one with sliding door

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks all....decision made

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14215
Friedrich Nietzsche