Confidence crisis!

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
westymakes

Confidence crisis!

Post by westymakes » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi all. I’m not totally new to woodworking, but I am new to trying to do it properly and trying to earn some money from it! I’m having a crisis, 2 broken bandsaw blades in 2 days. Am I asking too much of a cheap nasty machine, did I buy rubbish blades, am I just a ham fisted oaf? Made my own router table and recently it just seems to be snatching the wood out of my hands and launching it across the shed. I’m trying to use a bearing guided template cutter, and so far ruining more bits of wood than I’m managing to finish. Again, am I just being hamfisted!
Does anyone else have days like these? I seem to have had 3 in a row now...

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Confidence crisis!

Post by woodsmith » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 pm

The problem with the router table sounds like you are climb cutting, which is cutting with the spin of the cutter rather than against it. You need to feed the wood the opposite direction to your current direction. The other thing to note is that you don’t run any work between the cutter and the fence, always have the cutter more or less in line with the fence.
Keith

poodwecker

Post by poodwecker » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:31 pm

I'm new to this too. I'd highly, highly recommend going on youtube look how to use those power tools. Even if you've used them successfully. Lookup "how to use <toolname>" and "<toolname> safety". Watch at least three videos of each. You'll gain something from each of them and you won't regret a single minute of watching them.

Also, when you start using tools like a table saw - you have to study how it works and watch a bunch of "how to" and safety videos. Your fingers, fists, eyes and face will ever be grateful to you if you do that. A table saw kickback will easily draw your hand into the blade in a split second before you've even realized things are going wrong (look up table saw kickback).

You're not a ham fisted oaf, just an enthusiastic beginner. Just take a step back and watch a bunch of videos.

Which bandsaw and bandsaw blades are you using?
What type of timber are you using?

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:17 am

westymakes wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Hi all. I’m not totally new to woodworking, but I am new to trying to do it properly and trying to earn some money from it! I’m having a crisis, 2 broken bandsaw blades in 2 days. Am I asking too much of a cheap nasty machine, did I buy rubbish blades, am I just a ham fisted oaf? Made my own router table and recently it just seems to be snatching the wood out of my hands and launching it across the shed. I’m trying to use a bearing guided template cutter, and so far ruining more bits of wood than I’m managing to finish. Again, am I just being hamfisted!
Does anyone else have days like these? I seem to have had 3 in a row now...
Sounds like you could do to go on a woodwork course to learn how to use the tools you have purchased. I don't know why your bandsaw blades are breaking, mine last quite a while then go blunt so I change them, but you may have the saw set up incorrectly, it may be that you are pushing to hard on the blade and the blades might be poor quality or a combination of each. Read the instructions for seting your bandsaw guides and blade tension and take as long as is needed to set it correctly.

Your encounter with the router suggests that you may be feeding the wood in the wrong direction but again obtain some tuition because it sound like you are working dangerously. Wood work machines cut hard timber without any trouble if used correctly and will easily take a chunk out of your soft flesh if used incorrectly.

Rixarena

Post by Rixarena » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:16 pm

what is the bandsaw/blades you are using and what are you trying to cut?