Floating shelf bracket for books?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Floating shelf bracket for books?

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi all just finished a small job and been asked if I can now fit some shelving on a brick wall to take books. The shelves will be 300mm wide and 1700mm long and have to take the weight of books.

Customer does not have a fixed plan for what they want except maybe having the shelving in a a mahogany finish. They don't need the shelving to be adjustable. I asked about adjustment and they said fixed is probably what they would like.

My thoughts were maybe use a concealed floating bracket system, only thing is the shelving will have to take the load of books so wondered if anyone has used this type of bracket successfully to put up shelving for books?

TIA

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Floating shelf bracket for books?

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:24 pm

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:38 pm

I never had much success with them. They tend to droop over time and trying to get them to sit nice on old walls is a nightmare. Another option is a bit of threaded bar resin anchored into the wall.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:00 pm

Threaded bar, resin. Easiest, strongest option by far.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Threaded bar initially seems good idea for gripping the resin but the thread weakens the bar.
The effective diameter for load bearing purposes = the core diameter of the thread = the tapping drill, the diameter which you can look up. For metric threads this the is OD- thread pitch.
M20 will have an 17.5mm core, M16 core is 14mm.

HTH
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:56 am

Thank you all for the replies, having listened to the replies and now think the time needed to line up floating shelving might end up being too costly. To be honest when I was asked about shelving I originally thought it was a relatively easy job which would not cost a fortune in materials or time but now think different.

My current thinking is quite the opposite of what the original:

MATERIALS
Shelves: 26mm Veneered MDF edged (Cut down from 2x full size sheets)
Brackets: Elfa Shelf Brackets & Uprights (Adjustable) From Ironmongery Direct

COSTING
16 hours to cut down 2 sheets of veneered MDF sheeting to form shelving, clean edges then edge and apply 2 coat varnish
8 hours day to fit shelving

Labour £432

2 x sheets veneered 26mm MDF including delivery @ £217.60
50m oak edging @ £40

Tin Varnish £37

24 270mm Elfa shelf brackets @ £1.92 ea
4 x 1916 Elfa uprights @ £7.02 ea
Total for shelf support £80 inc delivery (estimated)

Screws, sandpaper etc £10

Total £816.60

Seems a lot for some shelves but I think it's realistic any thoughts?

MJ80
Subscriber

Post by MJ80 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 am

Ate they going into an alcove? I have build and installed ladder frames into the alcoves then clad them with veneered and solid front. It can be a pain to fit, scribing and sometimes templates but they look good when done. Price wise I always found shelves are always mote expensive than you would think. For example 8 oak shelves in an alcove could be around 1k, if you do it on an installed per shelf price.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 am

MJ80 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 am
Ate they going into an alcove? I have build and installed ladder frames into the alcoves then clad them with veneered and solid front. It can be a pain to fit, scribing and sometimes templates but they look good when done. Price wise I always found shelves are always mote expensive than you would think. For example 8 oak shelves in an alcove could be around 1k, if you do it on an installed per shelf price.

Cheers for that MJ80, not alcove between a wall return and doorway so open. Based on your price above what I figured might not be too far off the mark.