Rocking Horse Restoration

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
catsalisbury

Rocking Horse Restoration

Post by catsalisbury » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:40 am

Hi,

I have made a mistake! I have been restoring this rocking horse for some months now. I finally got the paint finish I wanted. I thought the spray paint I had used was water based acrylic however I now suspect that it contained oil. This is because the water based varnish I have applied over the top peels off very easily if I scratch it with a nail. Will this harden over time? If not, could I apply an oil based varnish/sealant over the top that would protect it? Or would this yellow the paint work? Pics attached. Please help!!! I am currently 6 months pregnant with twins, working and have a 1 year old so I don't have a huge amount of time!
Attachments
horse.jpg
horse 2.jpg

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Rocking Horse Restoration

Post by woodsmith » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:15 am

Which paints have you used? Most paints don’t need to be varnished. Water based finishes can take a week or more to fully harden. Looks a great job you’ve done there btw.
Keith

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Rocking Horse Restoration

Post by Meccarroll » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:42 am

As woodsmith, give the paint enough time to harden. I have sprayed acid catalysed paint and initially I could easily catch and scrape paint from the edges but after about three weeks it was as hard as nails.