fixing a woodworking vice

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.

Re: fixing a woodworking vice

Postby paulchapman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Yes, Record didn't do metric :lol: The vices came with the screws but, inevitably, if you bought one second-hand they were always missing.

Better shut up about this now - don't want to upset the others :lol:

Christ, 41 posts on how to fit a vice - would you Adam & Eve it :lol:

Cheers ;)

Paul
paulchapman
has subscribed...

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 am

Day 3 in the Big Brother workshop.........

And the vice fitting exercise is still not completed :lol:

cant wait for todays episode
Andys Woodshed
Administrator
Click here to make a donation

Postby mrgrimsdale » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:02 am

engineerone wrote:and there was me thinking it was super glue :lol:
What about a 2mm ply false jaw superglued on? It works perfectly well believe it or not:

The back plate is set in but covered with the ply to avoid metal/wood contact which can stain if there is any dampness around.

The front jaw is attached with woodscrews which I now realise was a dreadful mistake and I apologise to all who would be offended by this :lol:
It's made from quarter-sawn ungi-bungi wood from the shores of Lake Tittifalarious
mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby paulchapman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 am

mrgrimsdale wrote: I apologise to all who would be offended by this :lol:

Accepted :lol:

That looks like a nice vice, Jacob. One of the older Records that has a cover over the screw to stop it getting covered in sawdust and shavings. They don't make 'em like they used to......... :lol:

Cheers ;)

Paul
paulchapman
has subscribed...

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 am

well andy if you know it is easy,if you have not had formal training, and no instructions, then it is more complex.
day one was ensuring that i had the right idea, day 2 involved going to get the nuts and bolts, and then about 1/2 hour to lay it out, drill the patterns, and then clamp everything up to bolt it down. i have not yet sorted the false jaws.

i took some photos :roll: however, they seem to have made photobucket even more complex to actually get the photos sorted so you can mark them and download them to the site. i have uploaded them, and then "moved" them, but after that it seems to get lost. so you are saved the problem of seeing my handiwork in this case :lol: :twisted:

to those who took it seriously, thank you for the help.

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby DavidO » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 pm

engineerone wrote:well andy if you know it is easy,if you have not had formal training, and no instructions, then it is more complex.

Yes Andy, not everyone has been to the C&G "Vice Installation and Sacrificial Timber Face Maintenance" class. Count yourself lucky wise one! :lol:

Seriously Paul, more often than not when you do the whole 'its easy if you've had training' routine I agree with you, but in this case it really is as simple as bolting the bloody thing on. You'd need to have had training to do it wrong it's so simple and obvious - there are some holes that you use to attach it to the bench, and there are some more holes to screw on the timber faces, what you use doesn't really matter so long as it works and if it requires tightening every now and then it not really an issue.

Regarding the pictures, if you know how to send them as attachments in emails then send them to me at davy AT woodworkuk.co.uk and I'll add them to your post for you.
DavidO
Site Admin

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:53 pm

thanks for the offer davy, but why should i use photo bucket, if what i used to be able to do seems no longer possible.
is anyone else having problems with the new look bucket, or is it as usual :roll: just me. i seem to be able to apply links to the photos, but finding a way to download them here is more complex than it used to be. i will though persevere.

i agree that in hindsight, fitting the vice is easy, however paul's advice about setting it lower than the top of the workbench, and adding wooden jaws which are then planed level is not something you would necessarilly think of without being told. whilst i accept it makes sense, it is something that you need to be guided toward.

anyway i thought the whole point of the site was to get help on all things woodworking ! from the most complext, like making plantation shutters properly, to the simplest like installing a wood vice. or am i wrong, and we should only want to know about the complex stuff :twisted:

whether people get over involved in their pet subjects (me included, if i had any :lol: ) the fact is that if we do not ask the simple questions at a time when few people are actually taught woodwork in urban schools, then how are they going to get to move on to enjoying this as either a hobby or a trade?

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby paulchapman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:08 pm

engineerone wrote:is anyone else having problems with the new look bucket, or is it as usual :roll: just me.

Just you, I think :lol: What's the problem :?
paulchapman
has subscribed...

Postby jfc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Move your mouse over the small photo and a drop down box will appear . Go to the last option and copy it . Then paste it here .
jfc
Administrator

Postby mrgrimsdale » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 pm

engineerone wrote:...... if we do not ask the simple questions at a time when few people are actually taught woodwork in urban schools.....
Fair point. In fact for every person who asks the "stupid" question there are usually a number who dared not ask it and are grateful.
But you have been managing without a vice for rather a long time Paul! This could be a new beginning. :shock:
mrgrimsdale

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 pm

i have managed without a vice for a long time because i did not see the need, it is but one of many devices that one uses to hold or restrain wood whilst working on it. i am hoping it will make some things slightly easier, but i do not see it replacing things like bench dogs, or clamps. it may be easier to put certain things in the vice before holding the wood, but we will see.

jason i will see and you never know :roll:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby mrgrimsdale » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 pm

engineerone wrote:....one of many devices....
But just about the only essential one. You can work around not having one of course, but only with difficulty.
That's why every workbench you ever see has a vice, or two or three. It's not really a woodwork bench without a vice - just a heavy table!
You should have told us earlier!
mrgrimsdale

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Here you go Paul :lol:

You need to set up your account take a look here ;)
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 pm

must remember next time to hide the workmate :lol:

proof that i finish some jobs :roll:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby modernist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Re Photobucket it seemed to change a little while ago. If you hover over the pic the menus appear and I copy the second one down from the top. You then paste that between img brackets in UKWW. Having read the above I'll try the bottom one and see what happens.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk
modernist
has subscribed...

Postby jfc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 pm

If you use the bottom code you dont need to use any tags atall .
jfc
Administrator

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 pm

modernist wrote:Re Photobucket it seemed to change a little while ago. If you hover over the pic the menus appear and I copy the second one down from the top. You then paste that between img brackets in UKWW. Having read the above I'll try the bottom one and see what happens.

Yes but the problem with paul's account is that the only options that appear are for facebook, twitter,myspace etc. he needs to follow the instructions I posted a link to so he can see the menus that should appear
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:56 pm

interesting andy, since i thought i was trying to sort it out so i could download it. when first i joined it was much easier because it asked you and then told you what to do.

so now i understand what i need to do, will sort it I hope :roll:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:02 pm

engineerone wrote:interesting andy, since i thought i was trying to sort it out so i could download it. when first i joined it was much easier because it asked you and then told you what to do.

so now i understand what i need to do, will sort it I hope :roll:

paul ;)

Its cus they keep updating it and you have to setup the new options if you need any help just shout
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby mrgrimsdale » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 pm

There are other options. Anybody tried Picasa?
And having your own domain name + hosted space is cheap if you want to be in total control.
mrgrimsdale

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:47 pm

well lets see if i have got it sorted andy

so starting in reverse :lol: we have the vice installed, and then going down you can see that i glued a couple of sheets of mdf together, then clamped the vice upside down on them having measured where i want the vice to be installed underneath.

next i drilled through the vice mounting holes. the front two are fixed, but the rear two allow a little amount of sliding.

i then removed the vice, and drilled further down. then i made a big mistake. i had used a 14 mm brad point, and i forgot that i should have started in the work top, and then removed that drill, and whilst only a short way down, i should have put a drill bit which was big enough to take the washer, and countersunk the top to the right depth, then go back to the smaller drill.

i'll remember next time i need to counterdrill larger holes in wood :? :oops:

having finished off the holes, i then smoothed the top, and got rid of break out. and then clamped the two pieces of mdf in place by using two bolts pushed up from the bottom, and somewhat loosely bolted up. then i offered up the vice, clamped it, and put the two front bolts in the right way round. having put the nut on a couple of threads, i then removed the rear bolts, and put them in the right way round. finally i tightened all the bolts in the same way as i would for a car cylinder head, ie opposites tightened in order.

because of my mistake with the holes on the top, i had to fudge tightening since my sockets would not fit. ah the joys of training as a racing mechanic :roll:

so it is now ready to go to the next stage which involves deciding which is the best bit of wood i have in my collection for the false jaws. i may need to loosen the whole thing off again to fit the rear jaw, but i will see how i can fudge it :lol:

so there, it was more of a problem to down load my bloody photos than fix the vice, but not asking i would not have learnt how to work with photo bucket :oops:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Congratulations Paul

Now that only took 12 posts and 2 pm's :lol:

ps just a suggestion

put your text in between your pics ;)
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:04 pm

chr*st andy you want me to learn something else. :lol:

how then am i able to down load a set of say 4 photos, then place them, and then separate them to allow text to be placed between, because no one has so far shown me how??? :roll:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm

easy :lol:

vice

drill jig

packin pieces

get the idea ;)
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby DavidO » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm

But you'd enter it like this:

Code: Select all
vice

[url=http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/?action=view&current=viceinstalled.jpg][img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/th_viceinstalled.jpg[/img][/url]

drill jig

[url=http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/?action=view&current=drillpattern.jpg][img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/th_drillpattern.jpg[/img][/url]

packin pieces

[url=http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/?action=view&current=layoutclamped2.jpg][img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/engineerone/th_layoutclamped2.jpg[/img][/url]
DavidO
Site Admin

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm

whilst i see what you are saying davy, i go to bucket, and copy and save the images, then download them, so what i need to understand is whether i have to only copy individual pictures each time, or whether i down load about 4 and then how do i space them apart?

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I down load 1 at a time stops me getting confused

but you can down load them all and then just place the cursor at the end of each link and hit the return key a couple of times to create a gap and type your text in

ps i will go and alter your pic post to demonstrate
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby DavidO » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:49 pm

engineerone wrote:whilst i see what you are saying davy, i go to bucket, and copy and save the images, then download them, so what i need to understand is whether i have to only copy individual pictures each time, or whether i down load about 4 and then how do i space them apart?

Ok, lets start with getting the terminology right, because I haven't got a clue what you just asked ;)

You go to the Photobucket website and you UPLOAD your images to the photobucket website. Each image has its own URL and that is what you need to enter between the "[img]" tags.

You upload a picture, copy the link given from photobucket, paste the link into the forum, surround it with [img] tags if it doesn't already have it, then drop a line (using the enter key) and type what you have to say, drop another line and then paste in the next link as shown by the code I pasted a few posts back.
DavidO
Site Admin

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 pm

oh the joys of this new computer geek language :ugeek:

i seem unable at this time to have two screens open, so that i can start a post, go to photo bucket, and open a link, then go back to the post, and then back and fro. this is for many reasons, but mainly because i have not been shown how.
so i upload to bucket. get them tagged, and then right click and copy.
i then close bucket, and open the post, and paste in.

so plainly i am doing something else wrong :roll: but i think i will try what andy has suggested since so far it has almost worked :?
mind you seems we have to update the main picture addition post every three months so that we meet every update from the various companies :lol:

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 pm

what program you using IE Firefox....
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby paulchapman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:14 pm

engineerone wrote:i seem unable at this time to have two screens open, so that i can start a post, go to photo bucket, and open a link, then go back to the post, and then back and fro.

Just open the forum, minimise it, then open photobucket, then switch between the two as required. Simple.
paulchapman
has subscribed...

Postby DavidO » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Give this link a try, I knocked it up quick so its very simple, but that should keep any problems to a minimum ... hopefully. :lol:

upload/upload2.php

Its pretty self explanatory but I'll explain anyway. You click on the 'Browse' button and select the file you want to upload. You then click 'Upload File'. When the file has finished uploading it will tell you the images URL. Just highlight this and right click and select 'copy'.

Then come back to the forum and in the textbox right click and select 'paste'. Hit enter, type some stuff, hit enter again and repeat the process.

engineerone wrote:i seem unable at this time to have two screens open, so that i can start a post, go to photo bucket, and open a link, then go back to the post, and then back and fro. this is for many reasons, but mainly because i have not been shown how.

How are you even using a computer if you don't know how to do these extremely basic tasks?
Anyway, heres how... You click the icon to open up a brower and go to the forum. Then press this button:

The forum will minimise and you can then open another browser. To switch between windows you click the tabs at the bottom of the screen:

DavidO
Site Admin

Postby engineerone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:05 pm

thanks davy.
but some of us old guys just got on with it, and can design and make things, type letters run companies etc, without having had any training. but then i go back to computer rooms the size of wimbledon, with amazing air conditioning, and hundreds of ladies using punch card machines. i have also worked with early ai machinery, and spectacularly blew up one machine by asking it some very complex questions :roll:

rather like woodworking davy you can use many things without having training. the number of accidents every week in a&e relating to machinery sold in b&q is testament to that.

so basically i switch between both, ok that is clear, and i will try your things. and andy i am still using ie :?

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby Andys Woodshed » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 am

Paul which version IE?

Davy whats wrong with using tabs?
Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby modernist » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:25 am

engineerone wrote: i have also worked with early ai machinery, and spectacularly blew up one machine by asking it some very complex questions :roll:

Didn't know one of your vices was agriculture :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk
modernist
has subscribed...

Postby engineerone » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am

it was supposed to be some artificial intelligence brian, but you might be right about it being very agricultural since it was over 30 years ago, around the time ibm started to introduce their first computers from the plant in boca raton, and of course it was on an early apple :twisted:

what is recognised as the first ibm personal computer with ms software was only introduced in 1981. because at the time ibm were panicking about the loss of markets (even then :twisted: ) they bought in parts, and then more importantly because they did not really believe in the concept, allowed microsoft to keep the rights to the software. hence our dependence on bill gates at this time. for most people to this day the original ibm, if re designed, would do most of the normal tasks that most people need or want to do with their personal computers. in most cases certainly the 286 would be as effective for the most as the dual core of today, since most computing is restricted by the ability of the operator to input data, and then the bus transfer rates.

so although i have been using them for more than 40 years, in different forms, i have still to have any formal lessons. :?

paul ;)
engineerone

Postby DavidO » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 am

andy wrote:Davy whats wrong with using tabs?

Nothing really, I just prefer the old way, plus I have a tendancy to turn off brower windows and then realise I've lost something from another tab that I hadn't noticed :roll:

engineerone wrote:in most cases certainly the 286 would be as effective for the most as the dual core of today, since most computing is restricted by the ability of the operator to input data, and then the bus transfer rates.

Quad cores are the most modern thing now grandad, get with the times :lol: And no, there is absolutely no way you can possibly try to compare a 286 to a modern quad core PC, you seem to have problems doing basic tasks on the computer because you havent had much computer experience, but someone who actually knows what they are doing would tell you (and I am telling you) such a comparison is absolutely ridiculous. Even the most basic of home tasks such as writing a letter is significantly hindered on older machines to the point where they become unusable.

engineerone wrote:so although i have been using them for more than 40 years, in different forms, i have still to have any formal lessons. :?

Most people haven't Paul, I certainly haven't been shown how to use a computer, its pretty self explanatory if you have time to sit and experiment.
DavidO
Site Admin

Postby mrgrimsdale » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:12 am

engineerone wrote:..... our dependence on bill gates.....
Unless you use a mac. Firefox does OK. Tabs, or new windows with more tabs if I want to be complicated. Or new windows with different browsers running together if necessary :shock:

so although i have been using them for more than 40 years, in different forms, i have still to have any formal lessons. :?

paul ;)
Who has?
You could try a mac if you are having problems. Generally a lot easier to use but pricier. I've got mac and windows on my macbook but mac OS is always preferred option.
mrgrimsdale

Postby studders » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 am

edit
studders

Postby engineerone » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 pm

another subject for us to disagree with davy, however i stand by the point. not least because many people i know who have worked with and on computers for more than 30 years believe it to be true. remember the americans sent rockets to the moon using the equivalent of a sinclair 64 bit computer. plainly if you use windows programmes, then the analogy is not true, but it the old fact still applies that most people use less than 30% of the capacity of the programmes or the computers. most dos wordprocessing programmes can and still in some places still do provide an "ordinary" word processing function which is better and easier than using a typewriter. everytime ms update word, they seem to make it more complex, and it certainly uses more and more memory. and yet a number of popular programmes which have regular glitches were originally dos programmes, and were not completely re written to convert to windows. one of the cad programmes i have used certainly still has not been completely re written as a windows programme.

however fast the modern computer gets internally, what does not change too much is the speed that most people can enter the data using the keyboard, or the mouse, or indeed even a drafting tablet. so in most cases the fastest latest greatest computer is a waste of time money and effort for most people. however in the modern trend to obsolescence we are forced into the use of these monsters by the reduction very quickly of support and back up information. i mean, how many people actually use ALL of the functions on their mobiles?? even those pesky little things are more powerful in strict terms than the moon computers.

on a woodworking site this is interesting not least because of the recent discussions about updating or modernising for instance hand planes. some are happy to use the old stuff and defend it, others prefer the more modern ones. as long as they do what they each want, where is the problem :roll:

paul ;)
engineerone

PreviousNext

Return to Woodworking