window joints - to Domino or not

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: window joints - to Domino or not

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 am

Luddites! :D
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:08 am

Not at all . If it was a good idea we would all be doing it wouldnt we .

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 am

jfc wrote:Not at all . If it was a good idea we would all be doing it wouldnt we .

Not necessarily. For a kick off, the Domino isn't cheap. So there is an initial cost justification there to be won. But even leaving that to one side, if you follow your line of reasoning then none of us would be using powered tools.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 am

My line of reasoning ? Whats that then ?

A domino is under a grand . Thats cheap if it was a good tool to make windows with .

jrm
Subscriber

Postby jrm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:
jfc wrote:Not at all . If it was a good idea we would all be doing it wouldnt we .

Not necessarily. For a kick off, the Domino isn't cheap. So there is an initial cost justification there to be won. But even leaving that to one side, if you follow your line of reasoning then none of us would be using powered tools.

I have one now (gloat :D ) and can see many uses for it but, if I'm looking for strength and longevity, particularly where a joint is doing all the heavy lifting on its own, a properly sized M & T beats a domino hands down. Another point about furniture is that it's often the case that many joints interact with each other, some providing strength in a direction where others are relatively weak - it's the overall design of the joinery that matters. But, in this context, we're talking about big hulking structures where all the weight is often bearing down on one joint, a joint that is pissed wet through, baked, banged shut by the user to overcome problems with swelling, neglected, and so on. It just doesn't make sense to make it any less than the best you are capable of if you want to sleep soundly.

Edit: Jason's right. Price up a tenoner and mortiser and the domino is cheap.

John

Warwick

Postby Warwick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:15 am

I’m interested in this thread as I’m getting round to building a new set of French doors and surrounding window from hardwood.

There’s a lot of small fiddly joints and I was hoping to use dominoes to speed up the build.

If worried about dominoes failing couldn’t they be drilled and pegged? Or draw-bored?

Thanks

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Warwick....this thread is 8 years old! Since then Festool have come out with the bigger brother of the original Domino specifically aimed at windows and doors.

The small Festool Domino doesn't cut it.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 pm

I would consider using the large domino for internal doors but wouldn't entertain using one for external doors.

My reasoning is on a mortice and tenon joint you're only relying on the loose joint on one side (ie mortice and glue) whereas on the Domino joint you're relying on the glue on both sides of the joint. I also can't really see how you can prevent a wide bottom rail from twisting a bit when you don't have a haunch. I would have serious reservations on being able to prevent the door from dropping if using a domino.Its also worth mentioning that if the glue failed/shrunk back you could possibly see daylight right through the joint and potentially have water ingress ,you don't have that problem with a mortice and tenon joint......

PS: All the above may well have been written previously but to be honest I couldnt be bothered to re-read the whole thread ....... :lol:

Return to “Woodworking”