FM / Radio / MP3 Ear Defenders ?

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
tusses
Subscriber

FM / Radio / MP3 Ear Defenders ?

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 pm

anyone use them ?
much difference in sound quality from one make to another, or are they all rubbish ! LOL ?

I'm getting a cheap transmitter for the headphone socket on my workshop sound system, and hoping to be able to listen to TV / DVD / CD's etc etc, whilst having the machines running / sanding / spraying ...

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Re: FM / Radio / MP3 Ear Defenders ?

Post by woodpecker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Ear defenders alone, whilst protecting the ears against loud noises, also have the disadvantage of excluding or deadening sounds that you might want to hear. Shouted warnings or machinery problems for example. Adding music only exacerbates the problem. Forget the sound quality - think about your health and safety.

Richard

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Saves you having to purchase a PPL license
LyNx

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm

there's only me, so no shout's from workmates, and I'm not playing to anyone else, so AFAIK, I don't need a licence.

I've been working 16hrs a day 7dys a week for about 6 weeks with the christmas rush, so the music/tv etc has kept me going !

i think overworking at the mo, is my biggest H&S problem . It's the 1st christmas in years I've looked forward to, so I can have a rest !

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm

The gadget show reviewed three models this week, the Fanny Wang (I kid you not) ones came out way ahead of the others.
Keith

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Mucka, even if your on your own, you are still broadcasting music and you'll need a license. Only way out was if
via headphones but I would not have that in the workshop.
LyNx

nicknoxx

Post by nicknoxx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 pm

You don't need a PPL if you're playing music if the audience is "entirely comprised of friends and/or family". As you're on your own you'll be fine.

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I had a nasty letter from the tv licence people saying that i have the use of tv's within my workshop/offices I called them and told them that i don't have tv's however we do use radios so i will pay for whatever i needed to - they told me that no licence of any sort is required for radios. I thought this strange to be honest? has anyone else heard of this?

ps I wouldn't use headphones as ear defenders i personally think it would be too dangerous. IMHO that is.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm

hmmm... so there is some "against" musical ear defenders ...

I can see the dangers.
Mainly, I am just sanding, or the CNC is cutting , and I am no where near it, but in such a small work area, it means I cant hear radio / tv etc

I now only used the TS for the odd quick bits, so wouldn't need them for that.

Spraying with the compressor on wouldn't be hazardous etc...

it's more of an idea I want to try out really ! I might not like it, or I might think it's the bees knees

even just to have them on when glueing up at 1am would be useful not to annoy the neighbours

maybe just remote headphones would do, as I rarely use my defenders now ?

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:10 pm

I got told, that you needed a license if listening to the radio, even on my own. Told them to stick it this year as money was tight and we
sing to each other now.
LyNx

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

so, are they saying if you are doing any kind of work, you need an extra licence to listen to the radio ?

modernist
Subscriber

Post by modernist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:57 pm

tusses wrote:so, are they saying if you are doing any kind of work, you need an extra licence to listen to the radio ?
If it is work they told us that we needed one if anyone else could hear the radio. I said we had a works meeting and it was banned. I think it is bloody outrageous. Bureacracy gone mad. Once it's broadcast anyone should be able to listen freely. It is not the choice of the listener what is broadcast. Recording is a different matter.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doug
Subscriber

Post by Doug » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:08 pm

I wear my ear defenders with my I-pod ear phones under them, works a treat

modernist
Subscriber

Post by modernist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Doug wrote:I wear my ear defenders with my I-pod ear phones under them, works a treat
And legal :shock: even in a group.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

modernist wrote:
tusses wrote:so, are they saying if you are doing any kind of work, you need an extra licence to listen to the radio ?
If it is work they told us that we needed one if anyone else could hear the radio. I said we had a works meeting and it was banned. I think it is bloody outrageous. Bureacracy gone mad. Once it's broadcast anyone should be able to listen freely. It is not the choice of the listener what is broadcast. Recording is a different matter.

I agree whole heartedly ! I hate the bbc licence with a vengeance !!!!!!

if you can receive it, and it's not encrypted, it should be free !

TV licence is just a TAX !!! :evil:

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:17 pm

I wouldnt want music distracting me from listening to what the machines are doing .

Doug
Subscriber

Post by Doug » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:23 pm

jfc wrote:I wouldnt want music distracting me from listening to what the machines are doing .

Yebbut if you`d have been listening to music you probably wouldn`t have broken your Wadkin :lol: :lol:

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 pm

just some of the 'christmas presents' I'm working on to get out tomorrow !

more to make after that :/

in the early hours , something nice to listen to helps me keep going :)

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:33 am

I had the PRS bothring me about a licence a while back, but once I had explained that it's only me working here, and that I don't have customers in the 'shop they pissed off.

As to ear defenders I have some Peltors with radio and an input jack for iPhone. I can still hear what I need to hear, and am happy that I will be able to continue to hear what I need to hear for a long time to come. Come on guys, we should be encouraging people to wear PPE, not putting them off.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 am

what'd the sound quality like on the peltors Nick ? have you tried any others for comparison ?

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Post by woodpecker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 am

mark270981 wrote:I had a nasty letter from the tv licence people saying that i have the use of tv's within my workshop/offices I called them and told them that i don't have tv's however we do use radios so i will pay for whatever i needed to - they told me that no licence of any sort is required for radios. I thought this strange to be honest? has anyone else heard of this?

ps I wouldn't use headphones as ear defenders i personally think it would be too dangerous. IMHO that is.
"Tv licence people" are part of the BBC and, as you were advised, it does not require you to have a radio licence - though it used to. The BBC has nothing to do with collecting performance royalties from other broadcasters. It is a payer in this respect - not a collector. PPL (Phonographic Performance Limited) on the other hand does act on behalf of music performers and writers. It collects legally due royalties via it's licencing.

If you "air" music in public or in the workplace you need a PPL Licence and also a PRS Licence though frequently nowadays both are acquired together as a combined licence.

Everything you should know about music broadcast licencing can be found here http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/Busin ... a-licence/

Richard

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 am

tusses wrote:what'd the sound quality like on the peltors Nick ? have you tried any others for comparison ?
Well it's not HiFi quality, but for podcasts, which is what I mostly listen to, they're fine. The radio works surprisingly well considering the noisy electrical environment in the w'shop.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am

thanks, I'll consider that one then.

another option I suppose, would be to wear 'in ear' phones under my standard defenders... hmmm

scraper
Occasional Poster

Post by scraper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 pm

I've got the Axminster ones, but I notice they no longer stock them, and find them very good.

When you need to hear how machinery is working you can just turn the volume down.

I have them tuned to the same station as the workshop radio so with ear muffs on, or off, the listening is continuous.

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 am

UPDATE :)

£1.48 inc P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180641349836? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plugs into the headphone socket of whatever you want to listen to.

Using the FM radio built into my phone, tune in and sorted :)

In ear phones that came with the phone, under standard ear defenders.

Don't need it turned up load, and can hear just fine whilst using the TS / CNC / sander etc.

:D

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 pm

tusses wrote:
modernist wrote:

I agree whole heartedly ! I hate the bbc licence with a vengeance !!!!!!

if you can receive it, and it's not encrypted, it should be free !

TV licence is just a TAX !!! :evil:
Nothing at all to do with the BBC or its licence. It's the PPL and their fellow partners in crime who will try and screw you.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

hammertime
Subscriber

Post by hammertime » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Sorry to bump up an old thread but thought it might be of some use. I use some sordin ones (cant remember exact model) they've got fm built in, but also two little microphones on each side. If you want to hear someone talking, you push the button and it plays through what the microphone picks up. You can also adjust the amount of normal background noise that gets played along with the radio- quite usefull when you want to hear how a machine is sounding.
Think they cost about 120 quid but they've lasted for years. I got caught out once not wearing goggles just for a quick bit of grinding so bit the bullet and bought a plastic visor that clips on and flips down. I seem to visit the mirror less now to get flying splinters out my eye so I think its worth spending a bit. If you want I'll try and find out the model number tomorrow :wink:

Nick Gibbs

Post by Nick Gibbs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:27 pm

I seem to recall there was an issue with the Axminster ear defenders. We tested them, but by the time we were ready to publishing they'd been discontinued. Pity as they were ok. You might look at ear defenders designed for chainsawing or chainsaw carving. Bennetts in Devon will sell them.

Nick
Nick Gibbs
Editor, British Woodworking magazine
http://www.britishwoodworking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nick.gibbs@freshwoodpublishing.com

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm

tusses wrote:UPDATE :)

£1.48 inc P&P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180641349836? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plugs into the headphone socket of whatever you want to listen to.

Using the FM radio built into my phone, tune in and sorted :)

In ear phones that came with the phone, under standard ear defenders.

Don't need it turned up load, and can hear just fine whilst using the TS / CNC / sander etc.

:D
I'm still happy with this setup. works well, and I can still hear the machine tones.
No need to talk to anyone, it's just me :)

Cheers
Rich