Dust management - small workshop ??

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Maverick81

Dust management - small workshop ??

Postby Maverick81 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Howdy y'all.

Recently joined the forum, but to explain my situation, I am about to begin the process of rebuilding the old shed at the end of the garden as its walls will soon fall down if i dont knock them down. So once rebuilt i intend to kit this out as a functional small workshop. Dimensions approx 6m x 4m (8ft high).
So with this mind I am constantly brainstorming and will probably be pitching various questions at the forum to bounce around as and when they occur to me.

My thoughts on this occasion have turned to Dust Management.
I am aware of large scale dust extraction systems like we have at college but we are nowhere near this sort of scale. I know nothing of dust extraction systems or how they work. Are there smaller systems suitable for a space such as mine....or should i be thinking more along the lines of just a good workshop vacuum cleaner?

Please expand and enlighten me with your collective wisdoms. Thank you :o)

jfc
Administrator

Re: Dust management - small workshop ??

Postby jfc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Well if its a spotless workshop you want then i am your man . No rubbish on my floor , well there is you just cant see it for the wood shavings :lol: Drop anything and youve lost it :shock:

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Without knowing what machinery you will have and what materials you will be using it is impossible to advise.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

If you are thinking in terms of a decent sized single bag extractor then it is a good idea to plumb soil pipe to your machine positions with blast gates at each position and flex to the machine. If you do that you can stay fairly dust free and use it to clean up the floor swell. I run mine over the ceiling.

Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 pm

As Steve says..it depends. On your machines and the amount of work you are doing. My volumes are on the low side.....there is only me. But I did re-configure after trying out various options and split the workshop machines in to two categories...

those that generate dust....table saw, drum sander, linisher....they all go into a Camvac and when that gets full, the dust gets taken to the tip. The large chip generators like the spindle and the planer/;thicknesser go into an Axi 2200 and when that gets full....volume compared to the Camvac...about 10X...so disposal more of a problem...but because I have minimised the dust content, the local stables is very happy to take it.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick Gibbs

Postby Nick Gibbs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Best thing I ever did was site my bag extractor outside the workshop in a little shed. I think it was only 900w, and couldn't cope with gates and long sections of ducting. So now I just have one long hose which can be fitted to whichever machine I want. It copes really well with a p-t. I have old vacuums fitted to sanders and dust-generating machines, but the CamVac approach sounds an ideal alternative.

Nick
Nick Gibbs
Editor, British Woodworking magazine
www.britishwoodworking.com
nick.gibbs@freshwoodpublishing.com

Return to “Woodworking”