Steamed beech supplier near Cambridge

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
worip

Steamed beech supplier near Cambridge

Postby worip » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 am

Hello,

I am currently exploring my options for a bookcase made of steamed beech (to match the steamed beech worktops I am planning to install in the study). Does anybody know of a supplier of steamed beech in the Cambridge area? Atkins & Cripps seems to have disappeared and Ridgeons only sell beech veneered MDF. If they can plane and cut to length it would be an added bonus :D

Thanks

nickw
Subscriber

Re: Steamed beech supplier near Cambridge

Postby nickw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am

Atkins and Cripps have kind of resurfaced as A.C. Timber Solutions and are just outside Ely.
Also try Associated Timber near P'boro.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

worip

Postby worip » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm

@nickw, thanks, I'll give them a call - they both seem to stock beech.

I've also found Good Timber (http://www.goodtimber.com) that actually supplies beech that is planed and cut to size. Currently waiting for a quote. They are up the M1 near Northampton. Has anyone used them before?

Thanks

mtr1
Subscriber

Postby mtr1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I just used A.C. Timber for some un-steamed beech, seemed OK but was psed to 24mm with some fairly bent timber and came at about 9-13% moisture. I paid about £13 cuft delivered on 1.6 cubic metres, but got some discount when I moaned about it being bent. Had to look through about a hundred pieces to find ten pieces for my doors that weren't bent.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

worip wrote:...I've also found Good Timber (http://www.goodtimber.com) that actually supplies beech that is planed and cut to size. Currently waiting for a quote...

Sit down before you read the quote. :shock:
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

Mr Ed
Subscriber

Postby Mr Ed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm

worip wrote:@nickw, thanks, I'll give them a call - they both seem to stock beech.

I've also found Good Timber (http://www.goodtimber.com) that actually supplies beech that is planed and cut to size. Currently waiting for a quote. They are up the M1 near Northampton. Has anyone used them before?

Thanks

Never used them, but I called in one day when passing. It's a series of sheds out the back of a farm of some sort, with timber piled in them. Didn't fill me with confidence so I never used them.

Return to “Woodworking”