A&C Deco Style Kitchen help

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
bloonose
Occasional Poster

A&C Deco Style Kitchen help

Postby bloonose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 pm

I've just bought a flat built around 1900/20's and it still has all the features and woodwork of the period. It needs lots of work inc a new kitchen and I'd like to make an A&C or Deco style Kitchen which is in keeping with everything else. Trouble is can seem to find any inspiration or look that is "right" for the place. I have looked at lots of images and have a couple of things which might be adapted to suit or should I go with a modern look and forget trying to get that style? Opinions or pictures would help as I dont do kitchens really :oops:

This is the type of thing I mean.

cncpaul
Subscriber

Re: A&C Deco Style Kitchen help

Postby cncpaul » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi Steven,

I hope you are well.

You could have a look at the butler pantry and the flower room at Hill House, you picture has taken
some of the detailing from there.

I like the drawer pulls in the butlers pantry, check them out.

I think they spoiled the kitchen in your picture by adding the fenestration to the lower panels on the tall doors
and not having cornice to the actual cabinets.
Paul

If you only have a hammer then everything looks like a nail

http://www.fretworks.co.uk/. 2D & 3D CNC Router - Laser cutting and engraving.

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Doing not too bad Paul thanks ;) Now back in Glasgow, where I belong :lol: Yes, that kitchen is not nice at all but just posted it to give an idea of what I'm on about. I'm no fan of Oak and thought Cherry or Maple might be the way to go, Greene Bros Maple furniture does it for me big time :ugeek: The place has lots of stained glass and the hallway still has the original dark stained woodwork, never painted but dont want dark cabinets. I may be renting a workshop on a daily basis which is kitted out with saw, SM, PT etc so can make this from scratch this time.

I assume you are back to fighting fit and still enjoying Ireland, if I'm down in the area again I'll pop in for a cuppa. Cheers!

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Very MacIntosh. You could make something like that in Maple and it could look great. I'm no great fan of A & C but there are some nice handles.

There are loads of ideas on Google

http://www.j-shiner.co.uk/products.asp? ... e+Fittings

http://www.achome.co.uk/accessories/door_furniture.htm

http://pinterest.com/emtekassaabloy/arts-crafts/

Keep us informed
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the links Brian, yes lots of hardware available at good prices in the USA. I'm just back after a few weeks there and got a bit hacked off with the prices they pay for tools, power and hand. Its more the style of doors and the overall look.

See these

This is more to see a door style I like

This is the hallway in the Flat to give you some idea of what I'm on about, not in it yet :roll:

There do not seem to be many kitchens done this way, maybe that tells me something :o :?:

cncpaul
Subscriber

Postby cncpaul » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm

bloonose wrote:Doing not too bad Paul thanks ;) Now back in Glasgow, where I belong :lol: Yes, that kitchen is not nice at all but just posted it to give an idea of what I'm on about. I'm no fan of Oak and thought Cherry or Maple might be the way to go, Greene Bros Maple furniture does it for me big time :ugeek: The place has lots of stained glass and the hallway still has the original dark stained woodwork, never painted but dont want dark cabinets. I may be renting a workshop on a daily basis which is kitted out with saw, SM, PT etc so can make this from scratch this time.

I assume you are back to fighting fit and still enjoying Ireland, if I'm down in the area again I'll pop in for a cuppa. Cheers!

It's good to hear you have access to a workshop, I hope you didn't sell to many of your tools :shock: I have done a few Cherry Kitchens, but they look rather dull when the Cherry darkens, how about Sycamore ?

I'm back fighting but not so fit, I will be back to Ireland soon for the run of Spring Salmon 8-).......Call in any time, just give me a bell first so I can get some Hobnobs in.

PS. The flat looks very nice, is it in a brownstone ?
Paul

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby mrgrimsdale » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 am

I quite fancy this. Josef Hoffmann 1906
It's early pre Bauhaus with touches of Mackintosh and A&C. The germans more or less invented the modern kitchen in the early 1900s and they were into light and colour, until Hitler put a stop to it.
I've got a better photo in a book I'll dig it out later.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 am

mrgrimsdale wrote:I quite fancy this. Josef Hoffmann 1906
It's early pre Bauhaus with touches of Mackintosh and A&C. The germans more or less invented the modern kitchen in the early 1900s and they were into light and colour, until Hitler put a stop to it.
I've got a better photo in a book I'll dig it out later.

Interesting. Also note the bow fronted work top, often the darling of "modern" designers like Kuchenhaus.
Cheers

Brian

mrgrimsdale
Incredibly Regular Poster

Postby mrgrimsdale » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 am

The work top and back panel are light-blue veined white marble. Very cool!

The same photo is in "Bauhaus" Andrew Kennedy 184451336x which is a very nice little book and usually cheap 2nd hand.

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 am

Paul will do, enjoy the fishing and up here we call it Red Sandstone. All the old buildings are Red, Grey or Blonde Sandstone, very very little brick anywhere unless new.

Thanks for the link Jacob, dont like the colour or the paint scheme, but that might shape might work on one wall.

Sycamore, yep used it before and liked it. Maple seems to be cheaper I seem to remember when I bought it last.

Any other contenders?

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am

Where can you get Maple cheaper than Sycamore?
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 am

Last time I bought it, it was cheaper, but a while ago, in fact the cheapest hard wood I ever bought, the price of veneered MDF was very good too I seem to remember ;) Could be different now but worth asking...
http://www.erobertstimber.co.uk/

cncpaul
Subscriber

Postby cncpaul » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:41 pm

bloonose wrote: up here we call it Red Sandstone. All the old buildings are Red, Grey or Blonde Sandstone, very very little brick anywhere unless new.

That's like the ginger bird calling herself a redhead :lol:

What wood are the apartment doors made from ? The door on the left of you hall has the style of those in Mackintosh house at the Hunterian, maybe there is something in the Burrell or the Kelvingrove that might inspire you.
Paul

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 am

The doors will be pine of some sort, not oak (though some homes do have) and stained very dark, only the sides facing the hall have not been painted. I'll take more pics of detailing when I get in should anyone be interested ?

Seen this http://www.houseforanartlover.co.uk/ ? its round the corner from where the flat is, at the moment trying to get plans for alterations sorted and selling the place I'm in taking up all my time.

This is the front door entrance, not many left that look like this now, not everyones cuppa tea, but I love the styling/period.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

I think it is fantastic and yes I've visited the local icons. You've got a very nice place there which will benefit from the sort of upgrading you have in mind.
Cheers

Brian

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:54 am

'tiz very nice :)

Are there any grade-listed restrictions you have to go with ?
Original A&C often is.741 ,

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:05 pm

That looks like a lovely flat. I love the front door.

The painted pipes on the landing are brilliant!
Cheers, Matt.

bloonose
Occasional Poster

Postby bloonose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Only restrictions are to outside of building, you need sash windows, no pvc, lucky for me they have double glazed the front ones already, got some real fancy lift handles I remember.

Not all tied up yet, but not expecting any hitches, famous last words :shock: :roll:

This has probably been asked a million times, but think it maybe easier for me to buy carcasses with drawers etc all made up, then I do all the end panels, face frames and doors/drawers. I just want a look not actual A&C cabinets. So anyone do them still, seem to remember Brad Naylor used to recommend some guys. :?:

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:53 pm

bloonose wrote:Only restrictions are to outside of building, you need sash windows, no pvc, lucky for me they have double glazed the front ones already, got some real fancy lift handles I remember.

Not all tied up yet, but not expecting any hitches, famous last words :shock: :roll:

This has probably been asked a million times, but think it maybe easier for me to buy carcasses with drawers etc all made up, then I do all the end panels, face frames and doors/drawers. I just want a look not actual A&C cabinets. So anyone do them still, seem to remember Brad Naylor used to recommend some guys. :?:

The kitchen unit company is Concept Cabinets in Stockport. The original went bust but this rose from the ashes. I'd be a bit carful how much to pay up front as they appear to be worth -£70k. I've had stuff from them and it is generally OK.
Cheers

Brian

Return to “Woodworking”