Help on door handles

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
modernist
Subscriber

Help on door handles

Postby modernist » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:54 pm

I am intending to use Roto Espag door gear on my heavy front door. All the gear I have seen is 35mm backset which is barely enough for a full Euro rebate setup as shown in the door thread.

Putting that aside they appear to be twin spindle with pad handles one side. What is the purpose of the pad handle and why is is used in preference to a normal handle. Presumably the twin spindle is one for each handle at different heights - why?

There are some benefits being one of the few fans of full Euro spec. DGS are selling off the hinges at £1.99 in certain colours. :lol:
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

DeanN
Subscriber

Re: Help on door handles

Postby DeanN » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Any particular reason why you are looking just at the Roto mechanisms Brian? If its the 2 hook version, I thought the double spindle version had been discontinued.

The use of the pad (external) is usually to restrict access to those with a key - ie the pad will not retract the mechanism.

I don't know which suppliers you've been looking at, but try the Duffells site at http://www.duffells.com/categories/Mult ... -6266.aspx for a comprehensive selection.

Dean.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks Dean, hopefully you can help me, I find these locks most very confusing. It is a very heavy (120 x 68 stiles) door and I want shoot bolts top and bottom with multi point between. Would I be better with pins or hooks, or both? Presumably hooks are primarily designed for sliding doors. The pad handle is still confusing, if it won't drive the tape how do you get in using only a key? Then there is the double spindle question??

I got my info directly from the Roto website and the products are available from DGS in Castle Donnington although they normally pick the order wrongly owing to lack of detailed understanding. Why do you ask, are these others better/cheaper?
Cheers

Brian

DeanN
Subscriber

Postby DeanN » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Hooks help to draw the door into the frame, creating a tight seal. Mushrooms and rollers act in a similar way, but are not secure enough on there own - which is why they are used in conjunction with hooks or bolts.

An outside pad (fixed) is used to pull the door closed only. The key is used to retract the latch to gain access. A movable pad will usually operate the mechanism but not the latch, which is by key. The inside handle will do both for quick exit.

Have you had a conversation with your insurance company to see if they have any particular requirements (secured by design etc).

Let me know how much you've been quoted for the Roto, and I'll compare with a couple of my suppliers.

Sure you wouldn't rather fit a couple of nice chunky BS rated deadlocks......

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Have you had a look at the Glutz locks. I used them on my front door because I wanted multipoint locks but without the upvc handle & a decent backset. They are awesome, it double locks off the key , the handle just operates as normal no lifting to engage. Nice looking handles as well.

Used the Simons werk hinges which go inside the door. Loads of adjustment and have a really good weight rating, plus it looks like there are no hinges.

I can post some pictures later if your interested.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 pm

MJ80 wrote:Have you had a look at the Glutz locks. I used them on my front door because I wanted multipoint locks but without the upvc handle & a decent backset. They are awesome, it double locks off the key , the handle just operates as normal no lifting to engage. Nice looking handles as well.

Used the Simons werk hinges which go inside the door. Loads of adjustment and have a really good weight rating, plus it looks like there are no hinges.

I can post some pictures later if your interested.

That would be good - thanks
Cheers

Brian

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 am

How do I post pics?

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:30 am

MJ80 wrote:How do I post pics?

Upload them to something like Photobucket or Flikr as jpegs then paste the link into your thread.
Cheers

Brian

Return to “Woodworking”