Which glue for which wood!

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
Russ59

Which glue for which wood!

Post by Russ59 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi, I have just joined this forum after reading through for a few days to get ideas of what's right and wrong with different aspects of woodworking.
I'm no professional so wont be able to achieve some of the brill projects some of you guys have made. I only have a 10' x 8' shed which I'm just changing into a proper workshop rather than a junk store.
Anyway what I want to know (will have more questions later) is what is the best type of glue for different woods, ie best for soft wood, hard wood, indoor use and outdoor use, or is there a glue out there suitable for all uses. Only ever used PVA glue.

I have always had an interest in woodworking since leaving school many many moons ago, since 1975 infact but now I have finished my fibreglass business I have a bit of time on my hands at making something of interest.
As I say probably more questions later.

Russ

promhandicam

Re: Which glue for which wood!

Post by promhandicam » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Russ. A good quality PVA glue will work well for most woods. I'd recommend looking for a D3 PVA glue as this is water resistant - not for boat building but fine outside. The only timber that I wouldn't recommend trying to glue with PVA are oily woods like teak. The one issue with PVA is that it ideally needs to be used above about 15C (read the manufacturers guidelines) which might be a problem - particularly at the moment. If you are trying to glue wood at low temperatures then a PU wood glue would be a better option.

I hope this helps,

Mike Jordan
Occasional Poster

Post by Mike Jordan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 am

Hi Russ
Welcome to the forum. I tend to use only powdered resin glue (cascamite, AKA extramite) for most jobs, you mix it with water and the resulting glue has a pot life of at least half an hour ( longer in cold weather) and it sets diamond hard. It's suitable for internal and external use and is totally waterproof and cheaper than other glues providing you don't mix more than you need.
I also use PVA and Aliphatic resin (tite bond) they come in handy bottles and no mixing is needed. These are only water resistant at best and set with a very slight flexibility in the glue line.
As already stated neither of the above will be any use if you are using timber with any oily nature (Teak, Iroko, Aforamosia)
which require a two pack resin system or polyurethane.

I suggest you buy a small sample of each of the first three and give them a try, only practical experience will really help.
Mike

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 am

Mike each to their own, as I really don't rate Cascamite for general use.

Russ welcome to the forum, I did a wood glue test for The Woodworker magazine. If you follow the website in my signature (at the bottom of the post) and look under technical information you will see the test written up. I tried a dozen glues so there should be one you like.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 am

Hi Russ and welcome to the forum.

Whichever glue you decide to go for, I'd only buy in small quantities and write on the outside the month/year of purchase. Shelflife isn't indefinite and I will throw out my glues etc after a year. When I started out I bought too many different things to try and most of which I never got round to trying :oops:

I'd also keep your glues and finishing stuff indoors until the weather warms up.

I tend to use two different types of glue - Titebond D3 for when I want a bit more 'stiction' between the items being joined and when I am confident that it is all going to go together smoothly as the working time of Titebond isn't as long as PVA - which I use when I want a longer working time ...although it does have a tendency to slip and slide as you are trying to clamp up the wood.

But as the others have said it comes down to personal choice. If it was me I'd try those two I mentioned and forget Gorilla glue and similar PU glues.

Roger
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jrm
Subscriber

Post by jrm » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am

It's probably also worth mentioning that relative set hardness or creep resistance is often a factor when choosing a glue. Some glues set hard, such as cascamite already mentioned, while others like PVA stay slightly rubbery. At the extreme rubbery end of the scale are 'contact' adhesives. You often see these recommended for veneering speakers (by people who don't have the equipment to veneer properly) but it's a poor choice for that because it will allow the veneer to move slightly over time. Better for this would be cascamite (urea formaldehyde) or epoxy resin which set rigidly. Ditto any sort of laminating work particularly curved items which have a tendency to spring back. Contact adhesive would be useful for gluing upholstery foam for example where a lot of movement has to be accommodated. If you were gluing a chair or table, you would expect the joints to suffer a bit of stress and a hard glue line may fracture so PVA is good for this because it allows a tiny amount of movement.

Timber doesn't really affect the choice unless it's oily like teak as mentioned. Polymite (resorcinol formaldehyde) works for this but has a distictly red glue line, or epoxy resin, both of which come in two parts and need weighing accurately.

Another factor is open time, i.e. how long do you have to play around with it before it sets, so it needs to match the complexity of the thing you are gluing up.

For a reliable, general purpose glue, most of us use some sort of PVA. It is ready to go out of the bottle and doesn't need weighing or mixing.

John

hammertime
Subscriber

Post by hammertime » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 am

Cascamite and iroko seem to stick so longs you give the joining edges a quick wipe down with meths first

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks for the glue info chaps, its all been taken on board.
Is it best bought online? apart from such as B&Q I dont know of anywhere in my area to buy.

A bit off topic but I'm not getting email notifications of replies to my topic. I do have the default set to send me notifications. Anyone else had this problem?

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Its our spam filter . As a new member your posts need to be approved .