Dakota v Bessey

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
katellwood
Occasional Poster

Dakota v Bessey

Post by katellwood » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm

How do the Dakota parallel clamps from Rutland's compare with Bessey

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Chris

jfc
Administrator

Re: Dakota v Bessey

Post by jfc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:48 pm

They are just not the same thing . I bought a heap load of the Dakota ones because they are cheaper and we all need alot of clamps but when i grab the Besseys they just are pure class .
For me Bessey are bought when there is a deal on or a couple at a time every now and then . To buy 20 clamps in one go at full retail price would just be madness :shock:

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks Jason

I went to the SE woodworking show nr Maidstone a couple of weeks ago as they advertised Bessey as being there (Had seen a deal at D & M's Kempton Pk last year and thought there might be similar offers available) unfortunately Bessey were a no show. However the organisers were good enough to refund entrance fee (nothing against turning but watching numerous turners making small bowls and boxes can get a bit boring after a while)

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

It may be worth a call to D and M direct to see if you can get a good deal on a bulk buy ( if you want alot of them ) The show prices are fixed and i'm told they are not a good deal compared to what you can get from the retailer direct but i cant remember who told me that ;)

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Tried to get a deal from Yandles on my way back from a short break in Cornwall last week but was met with an extremely negative response, was told the prices are fixed by Bessey and are non negotiable, will give D @ M a call. I was looking at a purchase of four initially 1200mm however if the deal is good may purchase more

Thanks again

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm

I doubt you will get a good deal on four to be honest but its worth asking . They can only give you a price eh .

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm

I went to a show last year and got the Bessey offer leaflet to compare prices, and even Axminster were selling them cheaper than the show offer.

Besseys are the business though, I got some Axminster Bessey clones and they didn't last 12 months.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 pm

katellwood wrote:Tried to get a deal from Yandles on my way back from a short break in Cornwall last week but was met with an extremely negative response, was told the prices are fixed by Bessey and are non negotiable, will give D @ M a call. I was looking at a purchase of four initially 1200mm however if the deal is good may purchase more

Thanks again
Um..that is illegal.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

sainty
Subscriber

Post by sainty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 am

Here we go, Festool all over again.....

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 am

Yep, just like Festool pricing used to be.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 am

sainty wrote:Here we go, Festool all over again.....
Kissy...kiss.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Post by katellwood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am

Whoops what have I started.

Should have worded it that the shop assistant said that the price shown is the price you pay even for quantity as technically the clamps are not theirs they just sell them for a third party, however they did have fliers next to the bessey clamp stand offering a multiple four clamp buy deal, the guy in yandles had no knowledge of this deal or the fliers and eventually said this was not their deal but an online deal by a company called gedoreuk (who I think has been around a long time as my dads first socket set in the sixties was gedore) on gedore's website I could find no sign of the clamp deal.

Please no criticism of Yandles who appear to me to act as agents for other tool suppliers and I assume either take commission or some sort of rent
katellwood wrote:Tried to get a deal from Yandles on my way back from a short break in Cornwall last week but was met with an extremely negative response, was told the prices are fixed by Bessey and are non negotiable, will give D @ M a call. I was looking at a purchase of four initially 1200mm however if the deal is good may purchase more

Thanks again

jrm
Subscriber

Post by jrm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am

katellwood wrote:technically the clamps are not theirs they just sell them for a third party
[/quote]

Exactly the same bogus argument put forward by Festool which did them no good in the end.

Cheap clamps just let you down at the worst possible moment. We've probably all done it and regretted it. I have tended to just buy additional clamps for any upcoming jobs as and when needed and find it easier to cope with the cost building them up that way than trying to get a few quid off a large order.

John

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

D and M seem to have dropped the price per clamp to £48.99 From about £53 but not a big saving on four . 20 plus they may be able to do something .

Nick Gibbs

Post by Nick Gibbs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 am

I seem to recall Gedore distributed Bessey a few years ago. We have both Bessey and Dakota cramps, and though the Dakota aren't as bad as you might think, the Bessey are superb.

Nick
Nick Gibbs
Editor, British Woodworking magazine
http://www.britishwoodworking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nick.gibbs@freshwoodpublishing.com

robos60

Post by robos60 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks again
I went to the Yandles show the weekend just gone and the bloke at the Bessey stand was offering an 'end of show' deal (only 10% :cry: ) on their ratchet cramps...but you had to buy 10! - Rob

mailee
Subscriber

Post by mailee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Problem with the Dakota clamps is they tend to slip after a while. It seems that the steel isn't hard enough and the serrations wear allowing them to slip. Every now and then I have to adjust the grub screws to get them to grip again. They do have a lifetime guarantee but they are a bit on the heavy side to send back. :roll: next time I shall buy Besseys.