Bifold doors

General wood working tips, tricks and ideas. Anything that doesn't belong elsewhere can be discussed here.
promhandicam

Bifold doors

Postby promhandicam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I've got to fit 2 pairs of bifold doors into an opening between a kitchen and a dining area next week. The opening is approx 1800mm wide and was originally an outside wall - the house was built in the 1980's - and so I'm assuming that I will be having to fix to a catnic. What is committees preferred way of doing this - I'm guessing that 'no nails' or 'sticks like sh*t' probably won't be sufficient :lol:

hammertime
Subscriber

Re: Bifold doors

Postby hammertime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am

Wang in a rawl plug.Not sure if it's the correct way but thats what id probably do :lol: seems to hold alright in metal or concrete ones.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 am

How about some really hefty self tappers - around 8 - 10mm?
Cheers, Roger

hercule
Subscriber

Postby hercule » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Used them self cutting concrete screws a few weeks ago. Just drilled a 6mm pilot hole and in they went.
straight through the catnic no problem

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks guys. I found these http://www.timco.co.uk/ProductGrp/Wing_Tip_Self_Drilling_Roofing_Screws self drilling screws for fixing wood to timber so hopefully they will do the job.

Cheers,

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Steve you will need to drill through the frame and lintel into the outer skin of brick or inner skin of block (assuming its a cavity wall construction - with the age of house this is very likely) and get a masonry fixing into the masonry.

In these circumstances i normally drill through the frame and lintel with a normal hss drill bit before switching to sds. I only use the self tapping concrete frame fixings now. Such as these= http://www.leofixings.com/fixings-produ ... 3-197.html

The fixings you linked to probably wont do as they will foul on the masonry on the top of the lintel, then either not drive in or snap off.
HTH
Cheers, Matt.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Cheers Matt. I've got some of those fixings anyway to if the timco screws don't work then I will go to plan B :lol:

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Its a big concern of mine with sliding doors . All that weight hanging off something that wasnt intended to take that type of load . As your sides will be holding the head in place make sure you have some very good fixings there aswell .
Just a question but has there ever been a case where some sliding doors have pulled a catnic out of place ?

Return to “Woodworking”