Wood too big for mitre box...

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
CaptainBungo

Wood too big for mitre box...

Postby CaptainBungo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 am

So I'm very new to woodworking and have started making a few bits a pieces for practice but I'm having a few issues with mitred cuts. The planks of wood I need to cut are 6 inches in width and will not fit in a mitre box. I've looked at alternatives like the all in one frame things you can get but doesn't look like the plank will fit in the either when it's set to 45 degrees.

I live in a flat at the moment and don't have access to power tools. I'm using someones garden for messy bits and pieces but wouldn't be appropriate to set up a whole work shop there.

Any ideas how I can get a good cut without forking out for a power tool that I won't be able to use anyway? I've looked around for bigger mitre boxes but I thought I'd drop by here and see if anyone had any ideas before I made a wrong purchase as I'm not made of money.

Thanks in advance!

tusses
Subscriber

Re: Wood too big for mitre box...

Postby tusses » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:48 pm

you could make a bigger mitre box quite easily.

1st things we learned in school wood class was mitre box, bench hooks etc .. have a google .. quite straight forward :-)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm

put a list of tools you have .. that might help :-)

CaptainBungo

Postby CaptainBungo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've had a quick google and you're right it seems pretty straight forward. The only problem is that I'm required to cut a straight line which is sort of what I want the mitre box for in the first place. I can see myself ending up with wasted wood and a bad temper.

I'll definitely give it a go as I may surprise myself but are there any other options?

Also I'll get on that list of tools!

Cheers!

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Use the mitre box you already have to make a bigger mitre box . You already have the jig so use it .

CaptainBungo

Postby CaptainBungo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 am

Oh wow... I feel slightly embarrassed that I didn't actually think of that. Always trying to over complicate things :roll:

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:08 pm

CaptainBungo wrote:Oh wow... I feel slightly embarrassed that I didn't actually think of that. Always trying to over complicate things :roll:

that's the way you will start to think when you work with wood :-)

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Depending on how much you intend to use it, and how big the wood is you want to mitre, you might benefit from buying one of these http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Nobex-Mitr ... -YQAvD_BwE - other suppliers are available.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 am

promhandicam wrote:Depending on how much you intend to use it, and how big the wood is you want to mitre, you might benefit from buying one of these http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Nobex-Mitr ... -YQAvD_BwE - other suppliers are available.

it doesn't have the capacity for this job Steve.

Return to “Hand Tools”