Veritas Skew Block Plane

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
modernist
Subscriber

Veritas Skew Block Plane

Postby modernist » Fri May 21, 2010 11:32 pm

As you have probably gathered Karl and I brought a pair of these in direct from Canada. He took the RH and I prefer LH for trimming tenons etc and to pair with my RH skew rebate (a combination which I believe has more applications that a pair of either). Karl has posted some good pics on the other side which I won't repeat. I sold my LN 140 to finance this and I was looking forward to seeing if Veritas had overcome the problems of the 140.

The plane arrived disassembled but not covered in the customary goo and required only a quick wipe before assembly. One immediate plus was the state of the O1 blade I had chosen which was lapped completely flat and extremely sharp with a single 25 degree bevel. Consequently I achieved the irrelevant "works out of the box" syndrome so admired by the professional pundits.

First reaction were of supreme quality in all areas, very comfortable to hold in one hand, and solid construction. The adjustable mouth is a work of art being fully enclosed with backstop and easy to set without requiring a clumsy cam. The blade set screws make blade setting easily repeatable although I find the "Norris" type combined adjuster a bit irrelevant. A major plus is the side plate being continuous which completely eliminates the LN sole flex using the detachable side. My only criticism would be the finish on the front knob which could be better - but easily fixed.

The fence arrangement is beautifully done with a screwed rod (I also bought the longer version for wide rebates and angled fences) and the customary brass chuck type clamp which is very secure in use, unlike the LN which works loose in use.

The nicker arrangement is similar to the skew rebate with some significant improvements over LN, which I found impossible to clamp securely. Firstly the amount of "nick" is easily controlled by loosening the screw in the toe and rotating the eccentric mounting. Since the nicker blade is mounted centrally it can be rotated and the whole circumference used before sharpening is needed. This is another major plus vs LN. Lateral adjustment is precise using the transverse set screw under the fence rod.

In use it flies through conventional rebating on Am Cherry without a trace of chatter and leaves a good finish cross grain on tenons as Karl illustrated. Karl did indicate some difficulty on end grain so I set up a 10 x 5 rebate on a cherry worktop offcut with alternating staves.

As you can see it performed perfectly.

Overall I am delighted with the plane which more than overcomes all the deficiencies of the LN140 which I listed elsewhere. It is a modern classic of design and common sense.

At this point my heart fell as I noticed the corner of the sole missing under the blade. To my relief I consulted Karl's thread on the other side and found it was intentional. Another potential weakspot designed out. :oops:
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

paulchapman
Subscriber

Re: Veritas Skew Block Plane

Postby paulchapman » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Nice review, Brian. Sounds like an excellent plane.

Cheers ;)

Paul

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sat May 22, 2010 12:17 am

One point I forgot to mention is that this configuration makes and excellent shooting plane for use with small sections and mouldings, the LH skew holding the moulding down into the corner of the shooting board. The 25 degree blade is fine for this although a steeper angle may be better for long and difficult grain work.
Cheers

Brian

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Sat May 22, 2010 1:47 am

Good plane, innit! There are so many excellent design features that I forgot to comment on many of them - you're obviously more thorough then me :lol:

Interesting point about the end grain planing. What I didn't make clear was that my problems were in freehand planing - not using the fence. I'll give it a pop using the fence and see how I get on.

Cheers

Karl

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sat May 22, 2010 8:52 am

I don't think skew planes are good for freehand planing, they need the fence to get the benefit of the skew.

It's a cracker - thanks for your trouble. :D :D
Cheers

Brian

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 am

Nice review, thanks. Not available over here?
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sat May 29, 2010 9:35 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:Nice review, thanks. Not available over here?

Not yet but soon no doubt. The special offer direct from Veritas runs out Monday!
Cheers

Brian

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat May 29, 2010 10:07 am

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find any offers.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

karl
Subscriber

Postby karl » Sat May 29, 2010 10:25 am

Here you go Roger.

FYI, shipping was $45 (US).

Cheers

Karl

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks Karl
Friedrich Nietzsche

k2010

Postby k2010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 pm

:D i've just bought my brand ne veritas low angle smoothing plane, should be in the workshop tomorrow (providing delivery goes as expected) :D i can not wait to get that bad boy on some timber

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Postby lynx » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

k2010 wrote: i can not wait to let the boss use that bad boy on some timber

Why thanks 8-)
LyNx

Furby213

Postby Furby213 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Is there any duty or vat on importing from canada/usa to uk . I see $45 shipping . I cannot find 1 right handed anywhere here in the uk and im a bit dubious about buying from abroad .

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 pm

welcome. It might be worth starting a new thread rather than resurrecting one that is over 7 years old!

Return to “Hand Tools”