Best options for window shading

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
tommybrownuk

Best options for window shading

Postby tommybrownuk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi,

So I have just finished by new sash windows on my build and I am now thinking further down the line in how to dress the windows.

I don't want to put much material up to cover the timber as the whole point in me creating the new sashes was for them to be a feature of the house.

I have been looking at plantation shutters as an option as I can have them folded back against the wall during the day and then have them closed at night as I hear they really help with insulation. You can change the size of the louvres too which I guess would help with light control!!

Has any one had any experience with plantation shutters. Do they block light compared to blinds an curtains??

Thanks in advance

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Best options for window shading

Postby woodsmith » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Plantation blinds block the light much better than Venetian or roller blinds as they seal the light out all round the blind. The only down side i find with them is, because they seal so well, they trap the air between the glass and the blind and, even with double glazing, we get a lot more condensation forming on the glass than any other window. Really like them though.
Keith

tommybrownuk

Re: Best options for window shading

Postby tommybrownuk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 am

Thats great thank you for your comment.

so I was thinking about making my own plantation shutters but to be honest for the price I can pay to have them made for me, it doesn't seem worth the effort to make 5 sets of shutters.

Iv been searching the internet for a decent supplier. The best price I can find is £166 psm on www.woodenshuttersdirect.co.uk

The lead time is 10-12 weeks. Does anyone know if this lead time is normal?

Return to “Hand Tools”