Could Someone Recommend a good set of Wood lathe chisels?

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
twingall1

Could Someone Recommend a good set of Wood lathe chisels?

Post by twingall1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi,

I'm just starting out wood-turning on a Clarke 20" wood lathe. One of the things i want to do is turn chess pieces from ebony/boxwood.
Trying to decide on a set of chisels and i need some advice. There seems to be a huge price range out there and a lot of choice. I want some nice quality chisels but i don't want to break the bank! (maybe £20-60 range)

Also, using these two examples (one is £13, the other £50), can someone give me a breakdown of the difference in quality?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pc-BRAND-NEW ... 58a13b6000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8pc-HSS-PRO-W ... 5d3a31bef4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks,
Tom

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Could Someone Recommend a good set of Wood lathe chisels

Post by woodsmith » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:17 am

The top set look very poor, rubbish in fact. The second set look much better but with turning tools it is mostly down to the steel as to whether they are any good or not. Poor steel will mean they won't take an edge and they will constantly need re sharpening and you will get lots of tear out.

The second set may be OK but you have no way of knowing until you use them. I would look for a known make, perhaps look on the bay for individual chisels rather than a set if you plan to just make small pieces.
Keith

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 am

as above ..

new cheap sets will most likely be very poor quality steel.
I'd either go for a good branded make, or very old tools that are still being used (or recently still used :) )

colincott
Regular Poster

Post by colincott » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi,
If they are still going try http://www.proopsbrothers.com/ as I have bought tools from them before and you will be able to get a set if smaller tools that will do the job nicely, plus not lots of money for see what you get

Bo'sun

Post by Bo'sun » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:38 pm

Have to agree with woodsmith. Look for idividual tools rather than a set, as you'll probably end up with tools that never get used. Besides, you can spend the same on say 4 tools as you would on 8 and get better quality per tool. Especially as you intend to turn fine detail, where a good sharp edge will be essential.

You could enrol on a turning course and try some out before you buy. Not forgetting using the experience of the tutor to help you decide.

I fell into the trap of aquiring a rack of turning tools, but rarely use anything other than a roughing gouge, a small gouge, a skew chisel and a parting tool.

Don't forget you will need some sharpening equipment. Not a bench grinder to start with, unless you are very carefull and have plenty of cooling water to hand. It's very easy to draw the temper if you are not carefull.

Not sure how he rigged it up, but I saw Reg Slack with a grinding wheel driven from the lathe spindle (left of the headstock). It revolved slower than a bench grinder, and worked extremely well (less overheating).

Neil_C
Subscriber

Post by Neil_C » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Tom,

A good place to start might be the Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners.

Also, if you are free on the 21st/22nd of this month, get yourself off to Ready, steady, turn at Nuneaton.

HTH.
Cheers,

Neil