Yankee Screwdrivers

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
ljdyork
Subscriber

Yankee Screwdrivers

Postby ljdyork » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Having searched the forum for previous - I have seen Pauls collection and am well impressed. I have some that passed down from me dad and I have added a couple that I've picked up at boot fairs and I thought it's about time I serviced them. I mean how hard can it be -??

So far:
1) Have discovered that Stanley no longer sell any of the parts or the full service kits.
2) Have managed to get 6 non working ones to scavenge spares from
3) Have been unable to get hold of any sort of diagrams of where all the bits go and more importantly how to (properly) take them to pieces without an axe that is.
4)Used to watch dad doing them and it appeared easy - whilst I can get the sleeve off to replace/turn over the Pawls and clean and regrease the nuts and the shaft. I can't work out how to get the shaft out! and I cant get the springs out as the Bl**dy screw at top of handle seems stuck rock solid.
5)During all the googles for parts etc I found someone talking about them and using them as drills and even spanners - using the hex adapter......

Any input anyone can give would be most appreciate because I was taught to use one by my father 55years ago and have used them since - and we are all showing the signs of the years of use!!

Cheers les

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Re: Yankee Screwdrivers

Postby Rogerdodge » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 pm

I have several of the older pattern Yankees , which are surplus to requirements . Would you like them (FOC) ? Nice to think they would see some (more) use .

davegooner

Postby davegooner » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 am

Yankee screwdrivers, you cant beat them. A Yankee with 15st of joiner behind it will beat any Makita, DeWalt, etc, etc, etc. They don't need plugged in to charge up, just a cup of tea and a biscuit.

I remember many many years ago my mum decided to buy one for my dad as she had heard him talking about getting one, he was a joiner. So one day while out shopping she popped into the the local ironmongers/tool shop - does any one remember the pre-B&Q, Screwfix days? - and asked for "an American Screwdriver". She left the shop embarrassed but with the Yankee.

sammieq

Postby sammieq » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 am

Yes, butttt.....they are absolutely fine until they stick slightly on the return stroke, you've forgotten to hold that knurled bit behind the collet/chuck and the bit jumps out of the screw head, just as you are leaning forward and giving it welly to home the countersunk head.......

Even if you are good at holding the knurled bit (Oi! Keep it clean!) they have a nasty habit of taking crescent shaped nibbles out of fingers.

DAMHIKT.

Sam

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Postby mickthetree » Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 am

In case you weren't aware, Trend make a Yankee adaptor which will allow you to use hex bits

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/S ... large.html

Great tools

Return to “Hand Tools”