Green buffing compound

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
ccbunney

Green buffing compound

Postby ccbunney » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi all

I've been watching Paul Sellers' videos on sharpening hand tools and he advocates the use of a leather strop and green buffing compound (chromium oxide, I believe) and a leather strop to polish the final cutting edge.

I've been trying to find this "green buffing compound" - does anyone have a good recommendation of where to buy some?

I have found plenty of shops on eBay and Amazon selling the Silverline Green Polishing Compound, or something similar, but they all say for use with a buffing wheel, rather than a strop. Is the silverline stuff and good, and can it be used on a strop?

Cheers!
Chris

ccbunney

Re: Green buffing compound

Postby ccbunney » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Andys Woodshed wrote:Here you go
http://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/epages ... VERHONCOMP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks! Is the veritas stuff better than the silverline compound? C

Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Postby Andys Woodshed » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I wouldn't have a clue mate

Silverline is probably cheap Veritas is probably overpriced :lol:
I use the Veritas 8-)

If you are an insomniac suffer you could grab a few beers and read this thread :lol: http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/advi ... 76314.html

Andy

Richard K

Postby Richard K » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am

Green is not the only colour. I use the gold flex cut. It great stuff for plane irons, chisels, knives etc. It is not the smallest grade, I do not use it on the straight razors I sharpen.

will1983

Postby will1983 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm

I use the green compound for sharpening. The FIL gave me an old brench grinder from which I removed the base and then reattached it the other way round. this makes the wheels spin away from you rather than towards you.

I then made some 6" dia MDF disks which I replaced the grinding wheels with. a quick touch of the polishing compound charges the MDF disks and then I use it as a power strop to get a good edge on my tools. I can resharpen about 10 chisels and 4 plane blades in about 15-20mins.

I got my big block of green stuff off eBay for less than a tenner delivered and I think it will last me a good 5 years if not longer.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 pm

I buy chromium oxide from ebay and its about £3 , its green and seems to do the trick.

Return to “Hand Tools”