Utility blade plane?

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
Bo'sun

Utility blade plane?

Postby Bo'sun » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Good evening,

Some years ago I saw a utility blade plane demonstrated at the London Woodworker Show at Ally Pally. Not sure what it was called, but found something on the internet that looked familiar. It was on an appaulingly translated French website, and was titled "RABOT KID". Which I think translates to "plane kid".

Has anyone heard of these, or something similar available in the UK? The demo was impressive (as they always are).

I'm fed up with using my beautifully sharpened and honed block plane on not so good timber and laminates.

I realise it will be no Lie Neilson, but it will suit my requirements perfectly.

nickw
Subscriber

Re: Utility blade plane?

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, but the planes I saw definately used utility (Stanley) knife blades.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am

Pretty sure my old Pops has one of them things which if memory servers he got at the Ideal Home Exhibition years ago , he is sucker for gadgets. Do you want new or used.. he may part with it ill ask him.

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 am

Idealy I'd like to buy new, as it would appear there are several different kits, and it would give me some choice. However, at the right price and condition I would certainly consider previously loved.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi, he has this one

http://www.rabotkid.com/tutorizone/en/m ... 060mm.html

and small groving planes Bouvets

you can purchase on there.

Thinks we will keep hold of them sry they look well handy ! no idea why these are not readily available in the UK tbh.

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks JonR,

If the translation on the website is anything to go by, I'm not sure I'd trust them to process an order for me!

I've seen some realy bad translations by the Chinese in the past, but this one realy takes the biscuit.

I've also wondered why there isn't a UK outlet. Unless anyone knows any different that is?

ChrisCooper

Postby ChrisCooper » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi,
I know this is an old post but I thought I'd just say that I bought a RabotKid about 20 years ago at NEC Interbuild and it has proved to be very useful. They are made by a small French precision engineering company and the owner himself was demonstrating them. He had arms like hams but he used it to put a nice rebate ACROSS THE END GRAIN of an old cherry school desktop, which he just held against the edge of his table! Most of us watching were bog eyed as he did it and almost every one of us bought one when he'd finished his demo.

The guy's English was very basic but to be fair it was better than my French. I asked him if he wanted a UK agent (me) but he said he already had one - but if he did then he couldn't have been much cop as I've never seen the tool on sale anywhere in the UK.

It converts into a block plane, a chisel plane, a jack plane and a scraper. As well as a Stanley blade it also fits a standard Gillette razor blade, which is very useful for model making. One tip: I spotted that he used a diamond hone on the blade before each demo and I've found this improves the sharpness of a standard blade no end.

It sure ain't no Clifton but it's a great knock-about tool and beats the pants off all other replaceable blade planes I've used. In fact I've just used it to free my damp swollen back door and it did the job in just a few strokes - you wouldn't want to use anything classy on a rough old job like that, would you?

Cheers, Chris

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:09 am

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for the response. I've now got a Rabot Kid 20 from Ebay. I agree with all you say, but must add that the translated instructions leave a little to be desired. My only criticism is that the blade holder rises and falls as you adjust the depth of cut, leaving a small step in the sole of the plane.

Also, I assumed that it used a standard Stanley type blade, but it needs utility blades that are narrower. I found replacement blades at a picture framing supplier for use in a mount board cutter,

ChrisCooper

Postby ChrisCooper » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Bo’sun,

The blade the Kid20 uses is the original Stanley 1991 (2”) knife blade rather than the now more common 1992 (2.5”). If you’ve got a grinder you can, of course, grind 0.25 of each end (also tweak the top corners) of a 1992 and you actually end up with a slightly  more rigid blade at the extreme tips.
I've also found that blade thickness differs from manufacture to manufacturer. The original Stanley was 17 thou/inch but I've seen blades varying between10 thou and 23 thou – and the thicker blades obviously chatter less on heavy work.

It’s also worth looking at the Stanley FatMax equivalent to the 1992 which is harder and sharper. Stanley now also do a Tungsten Carbide coated 1992 sized blade, which is even harder and sharper and is claimed to stay sharp 5 times longer! All the above blades are readily available on eBay and even the carbide ones are only about £5.50/10.

I agree that the flaw in the design is that the back part of the sole changes hight slightly according to the blade adjustment but it does seem to have been optimised to be flat for the normal thickness of shaving you would expect from such a tool. I guess the blade holder moving up with the blade to give it more support on heavy work is the only way to get around the problems of such a thin blade.

The instructions that came with mine are not too bad but perhaps yours is later made than mine – the older guy who owned the company could get by in English but his son had no English at all: perhaps the son is now running the company, which would explain the unintelligible website? If you'd like a copy of my instruction sheet I'll try to put them up in this thread.

At the time I bought mine I really wanted to try to help him market what I thought was quite a useful little tool into the English speaking market (I had a small business technical consultancy that did just that). Glutton for punishment that I am, and in the spirit of Entente Cordiale, I now feel I ought to offer to translate their website into understandable English – stick for own back? I'll post again if I'm daft enough to do it.

Cheers, Chris

Tungten Carbide 1992:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks Chris,

I like the idea of TC coated blades, presumably it's some kind of electro deposition process. Hopefully, it's only microns thick and I can grind them to width without too much harm to my non-TC bench grinder stone.

Presumably, the planes are still available through the website if you're brave enough to try.

Seasons greetings.

ChrisCooper

Postby ChrisCooper » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Bo'sun,

According to this link (includes a Stanley video) it looks as if the TC is sintered into the blade using a laser.
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/how-to-choose ... uide-a1169

My brother was a metallurgist for a major steel strip manufacturer and I remember helping him technically with some prototype research on how to produce sintered carbide enhanced strip for bandsaw blades. This was well before lasers were being used in industry but I'd guess they now coat the edge of the blade with the TC dust and then run the laser along it to complete the sintering process onto the steel blade.

As to reducing the blade length on a normal bench grinder, I'd guess if you used the side of the wheel the thin ultra hard sintered end edge will probably just break off in the process. That way you wouldn't risk spoiling the disc edge. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Seasons greetings - we live in Mousehole, Cornwall - absolutely nuts down here at the mo!

Cheers, Chris

Links to a copy of my RabotKid20 instructions:

Page 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xzqf ... sp=sharing
Page 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xzqf ... sp=sharing
Page 3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xzqf ... sp=sharing
Page 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xzqf ... sp=sharing

Link to the terrible RabotKid website (includes videos): http://www.rabotkid.com/en/index.html

I just found this interesting demo on YouTube - mind-boggling tricks to try with it! - Definitely the son doing most of the demos.

Rabot Kid 20 modulable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj146LdMUag

Bo'sun

Postby Bo'sun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks for the info Chris,

The YouTube video was interesting, but what was the rush! Also, thanks for the instructions,they were more comprehensive than what I have already. Having said that, with 35 years in engineering, much of it wasn't too difficult to work out. One of the concerns I had though, was not knowing what the kit should have contained. I think now I've got it all.

On another note. I see that your from Mousehole. I've just finished making a model of a Severn class All Weather Lifeboat, and I've made it as the Penlee Lifeboat (RNLI 17-36), in tribute to those lost aboard the Solomon Browne in 1981.

Seasons Greetings from Langdon Hills, Essex.

ChrisCooper

Postby ChrisCooper » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Bo’sun,

If you’re a model maker you may find using an old fashioned double edged razor blade useful at times (on the reversible plate). Although it’s really intended just for scraping I’ve found that on thin profiles it can be adjusted to take off super thin shavings. Although I’m generally interested in normal woodwork I’ve also become very interested in stringed instrument repair which, like model making, requires extreme precision.

Whilst mentioning instrument repair, I recently read that the old violin makers used broken glass for fine wood scraping. Having done a bit of research I now realise cabinet makers have been using the technique for years, so it was just yet something else I didn’t know - but it’s absolutely brilliant. If you do try it, use gloves or a bit of tape down the sides of the broken glass – scary sharp!
How to on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxnhEVJhTk

I’m very interested to hear you’ve made a tribute model of The Solomon Browne. Although I’m not Cornish, you can’t live in a community like this without being part of the feeling of what a disaster it was for the village. Several of my drinking buddies lost close relatives when it went down and, even though it happened thirty four years ago, the emotions are still very present.

Having completely strayed ‘off topic’ (sorry mods) I may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and wander off into something else I found recently, by complete serendipity, about another local maritime disaster that is still the subject of much discussion down the Pub – The Torrey Canyon, which ran aground two months before my first ever visit to Cornwall… to go diving!

Whilst researching the patent on a 1960s British invention – the Leytool ‘endless’ hacksaw – I found myself wandering through the online archive of the April 1969 edition of Popular Mechanics. Lo and behold, an excerpt of little known information about the real causes of the Torrey Canyon disaster. The general consensus of locals in Cornwall, many of whom were involved in the clean up, is that the Captain was asleep and the crew a bit inexperienced – boy is that an understatement - the article reads like an Italian comic opera!
For anyone interested, here’s a link to a copy of the article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xzqf ... sp=sharing

Best regards and a Happy New Year, Chris

P.S. Us ‘real’ engineers must stick together – when I was at college in the 1960’s, studying Mechanical, Electrical and Production Engineering design, there was a joke in circulation about the rise of people calling themselves engineers who, in reality, were really only trained to do a specific task: ‘Last year I couldn’t even spell enjineer, and now I are one’.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:52 pm

just to add to this .. I saw a razor blade plane and remembered this thread ...

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Metal- ... tml#SID=45

Return to “Hand Tools”